PDA

View Full Version : Vatheia

Dvir Barkay
10-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Vatheia in Greece, an abandoned town. Its a really beautiful place.

A77, Sony 16-50/2.8@28mm, F/8, 1/400s, ISO320, Hoya Polarizer, Manual, Greece, 2014

Don Railton
10-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Hi Dvir.

Nicely executed image technically, good detail. I think the light is a bit too harsh for me however. Was an evening shot possible??. I would like to see more from within the village as it looks a very interesting subject

regards

DON

Dvir Barkay
10-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks Don,

Yes this is midday, which is rather harsh light, I tried my best with polarizer to add some life to it. I did not have enough time and wasn't there for the evening, soon I will post shots of Limeni during sunset, so softer light. Also the inside is indeed very interesting, though difficult to photograph properly.

Here is another view
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92064838@N06/15488999041/

and a fellow I met while hiking the abandoned town

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92064838@N06/15305498368/in/photostream/

Jerry van Dijk
10-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Hi Dvir, I agree with Don on the light. Too bad you didn't have more time. A subject that seems interesting form many angles indeed!

Andrew McLachlan
10-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Hi Dvir, nicely composed and do agree that the light is a bit harsh, but the harshness might make for a nice B&W conversion of this scene as an alternate version. Looking forward to more!

Katie Rupp
10-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Hi Dvir,

I find this an interesting image; the technical perfection in detail and composition with that flat light made me think it looks like a miniature model village...and then I read that it is an abandoned village; so yes, an absence of life makes sense. Probably not what you were aiming for but works for me.

Best,
katie

Dvir Barkay
10-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Hi Dvir,

I find this an interesting image; the technical perfection in detail and composition with that flat light made me think it looks like a miniature model village...and then I read that it is an abandoned village; so yes, an absence of life makes sense. Probably not what you were aiming for but works for me.

Best,
katie

Thank you all for the comments, more to come from Greece soon.

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Hey Dvir.
I can only agree with others above about the light, and I too think that a monochrome could work better.
I appreciate you posting these travel images here of places I haven't seen yet and probably won't as I base my travel around wildlife opportunities.

Dvir Barkay
10-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Hey Dvir.
I can only agree with others above about the light, and I too think that a monochrome could work better.
I appreciate you posting these travel images here of places I haven't seen yet and probably won't as I base my travel around wildlife opportunities.

Thanks for the input Morkel. Glad to be of service with the travel images, although you seriously need to visit Greece ;)