PDA

View Full Version : lightbox tulips

Nancy Bell
10-09-2014, 12:52 PM
I photographed these tulips using a lightbox and about 6 exposures, ranging from very light to darker. I combined 4 of the exposures by hand using masks to pick and chose just what I wanted. Then a few times through screen and multiply blend modes as low opacities. I added sandstone PS texture lightly to the bkgd since I thought the stark solid white was too featureless. A low opacity blend from Topaz simplify 4, oil paint was my final step.

Dennis Bishop
10-09-2014, 01:27 PM
This is beautifully done. The composition is great in terms of the location of the centers of the flowers and the primary diagonal. I really like backlighting, and this image is a wonderful example of why. The tones and lines of the tulips are very appealing. I understand in general terms what you did in processing, and I'm amazed that you could get such a good outcome by masking the layers. The treatment of the background is very subtle, but I'm sure it made an important difference. I like that the two petals in the lower right blend so nicely into the background.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Nancy,

Greetings. The delicate beauty of the left flower is balanced well with the right flower. The detail is superb and captures the eye. I find myself wanting a bit more on the right. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Cheryl Slechta
10-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Great job, Nancy. I like the composition that you chose and I like the subtle texturing and filters.:S3:

Wendy Kates
10-10-2014, 07:35 PM
This is lovely, Nancy. I, too, like the delicate textures of the flowers, as well as the muted greens and yellows. I find myself wishing that the flower on the right were not OOF, but the whole effect is beautiful.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Great job with the processing Nancy. I like the flowers large in the frame. I don't find it cramped on the right, but maybe wish for it to be more in focus. (focus stacking)? Anyway, a lovely high key image.

Nancy Bell
10-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments.

Diane Miller
10-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Wow! Those petals are amazing! Beautifully lighted and composed!

gary ellwein
10-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Nancy, I like the soft color palette and the depth of the image achieved without focus stacking. I must check out the light box.

Paul Lagasi
10-12-2014, 05:23 AM
I like how your composed this with the focus on the stigma and filaments, the left flower tack is sharp and the right one slightly OOF, nice work.

Nancy Bell
10-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks all! Gary, a light box is great fun, especially on a winter day when outside is miserable!