PDA

View Full Version : Palais des Papes

Dennis Bishop
10-09-2014, 12:14 PM
The Palace of the Popes in Avignon, France, is now largely a tourist attraction, but it has had many lives since construction was started in the 13th century. Most notably, it was the home of the Catholic popes for much of the 14th century. While everyone else in the tour group was learning about its history, I was taking photos.

Nikon Coolpix P7000, ISO 200, f/4, 6mm (35mm film equivalent is 28mm), eight-exposure HDR in 1 EV increments (three exposures in camera; five in Adobe Camera RAW)

processing highlights

first layer was a Belle Fleur texture
The HDR image was processed to completion, and a flattened copy was layered over the texture.
greenish color in upper right -- color picked from floor, Hard Lighting blend mode, 80% opacity
brownish color in lower left -- picked from wall, Overlay, 62%
gradient vignette
centered a blurred yellow circle on the convergence of the outer lines of the light beams and put a small white circle in its center (needed for Topaz Star Effects, later)
stamped all the layers and processed the new one with Star Effects, then reduced the opacity to 10% and masked the sun off the photo
two Flypaper Textures textures -- one at Soft Light, 85%; the other at Soft Light 35%
The text, also masked off the photo, is the overview of the palace transcribed from the French version of the palace website.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Dennis,

Greetings. Wow, this is super. The text, light beams and the overall design are superb. Good show!

Ha! France is one big tourist attraction... of course, you were taking photos.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Nancy Bell
10-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Awesome and a very original presentation of a "tourist" attraction! Great color palette and love the addition of the writing in a frame-like effect. The horizontal lines of the bricks subtly continues the horizontal lines of the text for an effective unifying effect. As always, I'm impressed with your workflow and artistic touch with each layer.

Cheryl Slechta
10-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Dennis, this is so thoughtfully rendered - I love everything about it. I was especially taken by the shadow of a cross on the floor - I couldn't tell if that is a cross in the window or just the window frame but it certainly looks like a cross on the floor:S3: Lovely work.

Dennis Bishop
10-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Cheryl, thank you for noticing and commenting on the cross on the floor. I'd not have taken the set of images unless the light was strong enough to cast that shadow, but I didn't see the cross.

Wendy Kates
10-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Dennis, this is a really interesting and compelling image. HDR was very effective: the sunlight coming through the window does not overwhelm the rest of the image...it blends right in. The textures and lettering really add to the "sense of place". Really nicely done.

Hazel Grant
10-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Ditto to all above. The square in the UL carries the theme of the window panes all the way to the the floor. continuity of design, great light, and craftsmanship. A great combination.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Beautiful tones, and I like the different layers and perspectives. (from flat to 3D) Well executed concept and I love the lettering and the light beams. It has a haunting yet lyrical quality to it. One of my faves of yours.

Diane Miller
10-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Just gorgeous, all the good points mentioned above! I love the cross on the floor and the light beams. I never have any idea about the history of places like this as I'm running around taking pictures instead of listening. I figure I can get the information on the internet when I'm back home...

gary ellwein
10-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Dennis, this is a wonderful image. Your processing skills are at another level.

Paul Lagasi
10-12-2014, 05:21 AM
The lettering really adds a nice touch, love the cross on the floor, super image, nicely done.