PDA

View Full Version : Ruaha ♂ leopard.

Marc Mol
10-08-2014, 10:46 AM
We found this male leopard, way off the beaten track and nicely placed in his green season environment, slinking through the "crows feet" grass.
Added a slight warming tone @ 5% to this moderate High Key B&W conv.

Ruaha Nat Park- Tanzania.

D4 500 f/4 VRII 1/2000s f/5.6 ISO1600. around a 20% crop, USM, curves, ACR/PS CC with B&W conv in PS CC.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Nice conversion & good comp with habitat shown. I like the head turn of the leopard.

Rachel Hollander
10-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Hi Marc - I like the pose of the leopard and its placement in frame. The image definitely makes me curious about what caught the leopard's attention. I do feel like the leopard itself can use a bit more pop. The slight warm tone works for me. Your description of the green season environment though makes me want to see the color version.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2014, 10:52 AM
I like the tones you achieved here Marc, though I would also play with adding pop to the kitty.
Pose works well with the comp. Also interested in the colour version...

Dumay de Boulle
10-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Nice image! I like the conversion. Nice pose and comp!

Anette Mossbacher
10-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Hi Marc, love for sure the conversion. For me the leopard pops enough I would more "u sharpen" the grass in the BG. Would do this already in LR or ACR if you use this. Maybe u sharpen is the wrong word for this, I actually mean take out more the contrast, the darks in the grass in the further off BG not right at her head. If you know what I mean. Just a suggestion :)

Have a great eve

Ciao Anette

Nancy Bell
10-09-2014, 05:32 PM
I do like this conversion as the grasses have gone pale, allowing the cat to visually stand out so well. Although there was a moment of disconnect for me looking at the image and reading your comment about the "green" environment :2eyes2:!

Marc Mol
10-10-2014, 04:24 AM
Many thanks for your comments everyone.

Yes I did throw a spanner in the works with my "green" comment with a B&W submission.:t3

So here's the colour version, I think it's one that works equally well with both conversions, what do you think?

I reduced the luminosity in the green and perhaps could do with a touch more, but it certainly really had a "natural" glow to it with the early light.

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Hi again Marc - I like the color version too but do feel that the eye is drawn to the bright color of the grass rather than the leopard. I tried making the greens darker in a hue/saturation layer. I understand it may not be what you saw but it does focus attention on the leopard. Obviously, you can drop it less than I did (-40) on the lightness slider. WDYT?

Rachel

Nancy Bell
10-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Marc, those grasses are almost glow! Visually I prefer the version that Rachel posted. But I do like your original b&w one also.

Morkel Erasmus
10-11-2014, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the colour version, mate - I actually prefer the B&W here :t3