PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Greetings. My daughter at 9 and the Sawmill Geyser, Upper Geyser Basin, Yellowstone.

nr, Nik Silver Efex, Topaz InFocus, Topaz Simplify (modified buz sim).

One more Yellowstone in winter shot. The geysers are spectacular in the cold since the steam is that much more visible. The Sawmill Geyser erupts for 30 min. or more... a real fireworks show. By the way, when we were there out and about at 6am, we had the whole geyser basin pretty much to ourselves (a few joined as the morning progressed). Our own seemingly private Old Faithful eruption, quite a departure from the summer crowds. Was cold, though ;-).

Thanks for looking. I'm so glad I have the raw files from my earlier days in digital photography. The processing software is much improved (as are my skills) and revisiting these photos are a joy.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Dennis Bishop
10-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Nice job technically on the geyser. It's great that you were able to get backlighting. Having your daughter positioned where she is with respect to the action is priceless. Great work on this.

Hazel Grant
10-07-2014, 07:53 PM
great comp. The angle of her head shows her fascination with it all. (hope it didn't spray on her). Well worth the early rise and shine!

Nancy Bell
10-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Very dramatic and your daughter looking up adds greatly to the drama! Great job processing an older image. Ha! ha! I'm sure you had the place to yourselves at 6 am in the winter!

Cheryl Slechta
10-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Your daughter is certainly intrepid - great pose - I love her looking up and her purple backpack:S3:

Wendy Kates
10-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Michael...great work on the geyser, and like everyone else, I love your daughter's pose...it really adds to the image. I'd love to go to Yellowstone in the winter...I've made it to Yosemite in winter, which was beautiful, but seeing the effect of the cold on the geological features at Yellowstone would not only be lovely but also totally fascinating.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Dennis, Hazel, Nancy, Cheryl, Wendy,

Thank you all very much for your comments. 99% of the eruptions didn't reach the boardwalk where she is standing on the snow. The couple that did were on the other side ;-).

Other than the geological features, the wildlife that winter in Yellowstone are in some ways more visible in the winter... which reminds me I was going to post one more theme image. Better get cracking... ;-)

Cheers,

-Michael-

Jackie Schuknecht
10-11-2014, 11:53 AM
A precious memory. Love the freezing of the motion of the water, and she certainly is intrepid.

Diane Miller
10-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Beautiful capture of the geyser! I love the awe-struck child and the hint of BG!

Paul Lagasi
10-12-2014, 05:20 AM
Nice composition, love the purple backpack. I think my kids had one just like it. Lovely moment in time captures and beautifully presented. Nice work