PDA

View Full Version : Moon

Terry Johnson
10-06-2014, 10:47 PM
This image was taken yesterday evening from the backyard, Lake Oswego, OR.

Nikon D810
400 F2.8 with 1.7X to bring to 680MM
1/250
F6.7
ISO-auto
Electronic Front Curtain shutter with 3-second delay
VR-off
Tripod
Wireless remote

Your comments please...Terry Johnson:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
10-07-2014, 09:22 AM
You have gotten great detail and I like the toning.

Hazel Grant
10-07-2014, 09:48 AM
nice clear shot. That bright dot on the upper left grabs my eye a bit much.

Dennis Bishop
10-07-2014, 10:03 AM
The detail is incredible. I don't know if you know enough about the moon to wait for it to be in this position, but that crater in the lower left with the lines radiating from it is fascinating. Ordinarily I'd prefer not to have a solid background, but -- with the moon holding my attention -- it doesn't bother me in this case. Nicely done.

Diane Miller
10-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Excellent! I hope this is a rehearsal for the total eclipse in the early hours tomorrow. There are some high thin clouds here, after days of severe clear. Sigh.... Maybe....

The white spot at 10:30 must be some sort of artifact, or else a glint of light from the ISS or something.

Paul Lagasi
10-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Sharp image, I may have to upgrade my D800.

Nancy Bell
10-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Awesome details! I really like those lines radiating from near the bottom. Center positioning, square crop and black bkgd work very well and put all the focus on the moon and it's detailed surface.

Terry Johnson
10-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I had a Nikon D800 and upgraded to the D810 because of the improvements made to shutter mechanism. With the high resolution of the D8XX series of cameras (36 Megapixels), any vibrations caused by the shutter mechanism contributed to images that show a slight amount of blurriness in the final image, especially if using shutter speeds around 1/60 to 1/100 of a second because of mirror-slap. The D810 has a newly designed shutter and mirror system reducing shutter vibrations. If you want to eliminate all shutter vibrations you use the new 'electronic front curtain shutter' feature and a shutter delay of 3-seconds. This is what I did when shooting the moon image. It makes for a very sharp image.

Thanks again...Terry Johnson:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
10-07-2014, 06:24 PM
I went through my files and I have that same bright spot on my images as well. I was wondering about that front curtain shutter:eek3:

Terry Johnson
10-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Jackie the bright spot is a very deep crater with the sun reflecting off of the crater wall. I will be taking the full moon this evening as I don't want to stay up for the 5AM eclipse...Terry

Diane Miller
10-08-2014, 05:26 PM
I looked through some older full moon shots and I have a light area there that wasn't prominent enough to call attention to itself, but not as bright as this one. But I shot the eclipse last night and as I shot test exposures of the full moon the spot was there -- not quite as bright as yours, but there. Odd. You got exceptional clarity and detail here!

I posted the fully eclipsed moon in Landscape. Drove about an hour from home to try to minimize possible clouds -- got home at 5 am!

Hazel Grant
10-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Didn't mean to negate the very obvious clarity of the shot with my remark re white spot. On the other hand, reading the comments helps clarify why it might be there, and that's a good learning experience. It is a grand shot. Thanks for sharing it. Saw the one in landscape forum, too. Liked Uranus in the photo there.

Cheryl Slechta
10-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Sorry I'm late commenting but this is really nice, Terry. Detail is great and it's so interesting to see the moon against the dark sky. Nice work.