PDA

View Full Version : Flight Photography with Flash

Kent Wilson
05-23-2008, 08:06 PM
I noticed in the last Bulletin that Artue made some flight images handheld with flash. Could someone explain what the setup is like (I assume some king of flash bracket is used to get the flash off the camera?) and any tips on how to use the setup? It seems like it would be somewhat awkward to pan with a flash and bracket attached.

Thanks in advance. This is such a great site! I learn something every time I visit. People are so generous.

Arthur Morris
05-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi Kent, For years I used a flash bracket but found that it was too, too cumbersome not to mention heavy, so now I just stick the flash right in the hot shoe. If the light is very low you are gonna get red-eye, flash eye, purple eye, or steel eye even if you use a bracket so why torture yourself... Thanks for your kind words. It great to see that folks notice a difference here.

Kent Wilson
05-26-2008, 04:07 PM
That sure will make things easier! Thanks, Artie. This site is the best photographic bargain going.

Arthur Morris
05-26-2008, 04:29 PM
That sure will make things easier! Thanks, Artie. This site is the best photographic bargain going.

Thanks Kent. :) Make sure to let all of your photo friends know.

Rosl Roessner
06-09-2008, 05:07 PM
I am sorry, but I have a silly question: how can I use the flash with a faster shutter speed than the 1/300 my camera offers me?
When I mount the flash on my Mark III, I can't choose any faster speed. Di I have to set up the Exposure manually? And how can I get the right exposure?

I hope, you are so gentle to give me an answer... I do use the Canon EX 430 and sometimes the better beamer.

Thanks for taking time,
Rosl

Kent Wilson
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi Rosl --

I'm hardly an expert, but what I do it this. I use a Canon 430EX flash on a 40D. I set the 430EX to high-speed Sync. This is done on the flash by pressing the 2nd button from the right as you look at the back of the flash. This allows the flash to be used at all shutter speeds.

I hope this is helpful.

kent

Robert Amoruso
06-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Rosl and Kent,

Kent has it right - use high speed flash sync. When you go over the sync speed of the camera, the flash must reduce the output to allow it to strobe the flash as the shutter travels across the image sensor. Just something to be aware of.