PDA

View Full Version : Palouse Hillside

Cheryl Slechta
10-06-2014, 04:53 PM
This was taken in June at the Palouse. This one reminded me of a Georgia O'Keefe painting. Levels, some dodging and burning.
Canon 5D Mark III, 100-400mm @ 400mm, 1/250 sec., f/11, ISO 200
Thanks for looking:S3:

Don Railton
10-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Hi Cheryl.

This is quite beautiful... the intersecting colour gradients and lines make this something special... Do you have a couple of these to stitch together?? I would love to see a Pano version of this sort of county side. The LR FG green might be a little too sharp, I think I see the start of artefacts appearing, but maybe I am wrong, my monitor is not wonderful..

thanks for showing

DON

Valerio Tarone
10-07-2014, 11:07 AM
hi Cheyl, I like it. Repeated patterns, small and large hills overlaying each other. lights and shadows, Well done!

Cheryl Slechta
10-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks, Don, I've got some panos, mostly long exposures, none stitched. I'll post some here. It's very beautiful countryside.
Thanks, Valerio:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
10-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi Cheryl, I like this one very much. The crop sprayer tracks in the distance add a nice element along the top edge of the composition, and the two trees also act nicely as anchors for the upper corners of the frame. The undulating terrain is wonderful. Someday I will have to visit this area :S3:

Hazel Grant
10-08-2014, 01:04 AM
It's hard to believe that this is not an OOTB work with art filters applied. Amazing that such a place could be...and be naturally so beautiful. Just the right shades of darkness in just the right places add so much interest, too.

Diane Miller
10-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Gorgeous! Very nice how the lone tree is balanced by the crescent of unplanted soil.

I'm wondering if a little lowering of exposure would give it a little pop without damaging the subtlety? But maybe not -- certainly lovely as is!

Cheryl Slechta
10-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Hi, Diane, thanks. I thought this exposure (it was bright and hazy) looked more like I would imagine a Georgia O'Keefe :)

Morkel Erasmus
10-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Hey Cheryl - a lot to take in and enjoy here! Love your image design and the overall flow of the image.
I think it can do with a darkening of highlights and midtones, it just seems too bright and in need of some tonal contrast?

Jerry van Dijk
10-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Hi Cheryl, not much too add to the above. I would like to see a little more contrast like Diane and Morkel suggest, but as you already explained, you're after a different look.