PDA

View Full Version : Mara from the Air

Morkel Erasmus
10-04-2014, 07:31 AM
On the recent photographic safari I hosted to the Mara Triangle in Kenya (part of the Maasai Mara ecosystem), I was fortunate to have a hot air balloon flight one morning.
This is one of the frames I captured as we drifted towards the famous Mara river, although this is just a drainage line feeding into the river.

Techs:
Nikon D4s
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f4.0 | 1/400 SS | ISO-280
Cropped for rotation
The balloon was flying quite low here...

Andrew McLachlan
10-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Hi Morkel, I like the look of this one and the cloud's reflection in the drainage line are nicely captured. Look forward to seeing more from your hot air balloon ride.

Diane Miller
10-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Wonderful POV and gorgeous light. Is there any taming the bit of blowout in the clouds? I wouldn't call it a major issue, given the sun is behind the clouds, but it is something I notice. Looks like a gorgeous place!

Don Railton
10-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Hi Morkel

Nice capture and timing to get the reflection... Hope you were going slow because I am not sure I would have pulled the camera out that close to the ground if there was any wind..

DON

Morkel Erasmus
10-06-2014, 04:18 AM
Wonderful POV and gorgeous light. Is there any taming the bit of blowout in the clouds? I wouldn't call it a major issue, given the sun is behind the clouds, but it is something I notice. Looks like a gorgeous place!

Diane I tried to double-process the RAW but they were just too blown out. Exposure was tricky as it was different in every direction from the basket I was standing in. I tried my best to make adjustments on-the-fly but by the time you get an exposure right your composition has drifted past :e3

Morkel Erasmus
10-06-2014, 05:00 AM
Hi Morkel

Nice capture and timing to get the reflection... Hope you were going slow because I am not sure I would have pulled the camera out that close to the ground if there was any wind..

DON

Don we were moving at a slow pace here. Certainly picked up speed later in the morning as we came in to land!

Don Railton
10-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Glad to hear it...! Those big Nikons are not cheap...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheryl Slechta
10-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Hi, Morkel, hot-air balloon rides are an incredible experience! I love the clouds and the curve of the river. I think you could crop a little from the bottom and eliminate the darkest part of the river and reflection but it's beautiful just the way it is.

Jerry van Dijk
10-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Hi Morkel, I like how the clouds and river converge towards the sun. Some good points already made above. Was there a lot of wind? I'm surprised to see movement blur in the clouds, while you were able to get a sharp image from the moving balloon. Or is that lens blur along the edges instead of movement of the clouds?
Very curious to see more omages from your balloon ride!