PDA

View Full Version : Keel-billed Motmot in Costa Rica

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Hi everyone!

I believe this is the first keel-billed motmot being posted here. This is among the hardest to find and photograph, motmots in Costa Rica besides the always elusive tody motmot.
Finally last month I was able to photograph both species despite the long time I´ve been birding and looking for these birds!
So the sensation of finding both is remarkable. :w3

For this one

Mark IV
600f/4+1.4TC=@f/5.6
ISO 1250
SS 1/300
Fill flash
Full Frame
Image was made from a sturdy tripod but I was on a suspention bridge so imagine how messy that was...
I clone out some distracting vines on the BG
I used playback to get the bird a bit closer as they live inside the dark rainforest.
I had the great company of Jessy, one of my best friends who knows the area where these birds live very well, so without him I would not be posting this shot today! (how good it is to have friends who understand our passion!)

Thanks for looking!

Jim Crosswell
10-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Congratulations on getting two birds that have eluded you. I like the look back pose, mossy perch, composition and a great tail too. Very well done under challenging conditions Juan!

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Congratulations on getting two birds that have eluded you. I like the look back pose, mossy perch, composition and a great tail too. Very well done under challenging conditions Juan!
Thanks Jim!
This is the suspension bridge from where I took the shot.

Daniel Cadieux
10-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Great looking bird! Well photographed too. From the thumb I though the bird looked dark but when viewed large it looks fine. Nice perch, I love the two little "mini ferns" hang down it at left.

Looks like a great spot to photograph!

Satish Ranadive
10-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Magnificent image with beautiful color pallet. Superb composition.
Love the look back pose,fine details on bird and perch with moss.

Regards,
Satish.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-04-2014, 05:04 AM
Congrats Juan, love the unique looking bird, great comp, colours and details. Looks like a cool spot to photograph from! Well done and TFS.

Lorant Voros
10-04-2014, 09:24 AM
I don't know if I like the first of the second photo more:). Awesome place for sure and lovely bird. Congratulations for this one; super nice head turn, nice composition, perch and BG.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Many thanks guys for your kind comments!