PDA

View Full Version : Theme Winter glow

Mike Poole
10-03-2014, 07:53 AM

As this months theme is all about antlers and horns, I though I'd start with one of last years shots. I made an early start on a frosty winter morning looking for rutting shots, then this handsome young fellow decided to pop his head up just high enough that the sun coming over the hills so the light caught his headgear but not the rest of his body.

I've seen may debates over what is wild and what is captive and there rarely seems to be a definitive answer, so for transparency, this is a park deer. They have vast areas to roam free in, and are not fed by man. just managed by the rangers to ensure health amongst the population. Obviously there are boundaries to the park. If you feel I should add a (C), then please let me know.

Techs wise, canon 1d3, 400mm f5.6L, ISO 400, 1/500th f5.6

D. Robert Franz
10-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Like the spotlight on the subject.. Very dramatic

Marina Scarr
10-03-2014, 02:44 PM
This is an exceptional frame. The spotlight effect is perfect for this subject and came right at the perfect moment. The black BG works perfectly, and I like the slight rim lighting on the deer's body.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Super shot Mike, I like the comp, the antlers and the dark BG & glow. Well done.

Rachel Hollander
10-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Hi Mike - the spotlight effect is great against the black bg. If it were mine I would get rid of the 3 larger and brighter specular highlights, two on the right and one on the left.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
10-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Neat shot. The alignment of the line of light just at the edge of the eyes is perfect for me and the dark BG really sets off the polished tips of the antlers.

Karl Egressy
10-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Excellent spotlight effect on the antlers and head makes the image for me, Mike.

Morkel Erasmus
10-06-2014, 06:17 AM
Stunning light, pose and presentation here! :cheers:

Steve Kaluski
10-06-2014, 08:19 AM
The light works well here Mike with the nice contrast of the dark black backdrop and light FG. I also like the composition too.

Bradgate by chance?

TFS
Steve

Mike Poole
10-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Cheers for the comments everyone.

Rachel, Nice idea about the specular highlights, I'll have a play

Steve, Lyme Park in Disley, just south of Manchester

Steve Kaluski
10-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Mike, if you can face a really early morning and the trek, then you should go. Saw some images taken around 7.30 last saturday by a friend, stunning! The images I mean.

Mike Poole
10-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Cheers Steve,

Hate early mornings but that's part of the game! Never been to Bradgate but if the scenery is substantially better than Lyme park then I don't mind the trek. Google maps give me a 2 hour journey as opposed to less than 1/4 of that for Lyme Park.

I'll probably not be able to resist it now you've mentioned it though! If its no good I'll send you the petrol bill :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
10-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Mike, if the weather is dry but cold, then I'm sure it will be worth it, also there will probably a lot of Photo-togs there, so pick your spot. Just be aware, the big Stags mean business and keep checking behind you, I kid you not, stay safe & enjoy. I'm heading north Wednesday otherwise I might have swung by, but it's the same distance for me too. :w3

Bob Smith
11-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Great timing on the lighting here Mike , and a magnificent stag. I would think he is a senior member of the herd rather than a young fellow.