PDA

View Full Version : Falklands and South Georgia Island

Norm Dulak
10-02-2014, 07:14 PM
In 2010, my wife Linda and I traveled to the Falklands, South Georgia Island, and the Antarctic Peninsula. Our trip was in November, which was springtime in those places. All of the birds were nesting, mating and incubating eggs. It was a wonderful time.

In January and February, 2014, we returned to the Antarctic Peninsula, and traveled well south of the Antarctic Circle. There were penguin species we never saw before. But most importantly, there were beautiful penguin chicks everywhere.

Because our most recent trip was directly to Antarctica, we were not able to see the chicks of the Rockhopper Penguins, Black-browed Albatrosses and Blue-eyed Shags in the Falklands, or the chicks of the King Penguins on South Georgia Island.

Could anyone please suggest how Linda and I could go to one or both of those places in January sometime? It's at the top of our bucket list, and we would really appreciate your advice.

Norm

Emanuel Tiberi
10-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Norm, A friend of mine works at Seriema Tours and at National Geogrpahic Explorer and I know they travel to those place (plus a couple more). I you want, I can ask him and let you know what he says.
I know it's not the same, but nearby from where I live, you can find the 2nd biggest Magellanic Pinguin Colony and they'll have the chicks in mid November.

Norm Dulak
10-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks Emanuel.

I hadn't heard of Seriema Tours before and will look into where they go. If you can provide more information on them, that would be great. I've also requested a brochure from Adventure Life, which I understand runs tours of the Falkland Islands.

Emanuel Tiberi
10-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Seriema Tours ( http://www.seriemanaturetours.com/) is an Argentinian company that provides birding trips in S.America. Three of them are personal friends and I can request some extra information for you if you need it or I can sned you their e-mail.