PDA

View Full Version : Great Egret #1

Dvir Barkay
10-02-2014, 03:37 PM

Had a good time getting very close to this guy, usually they are skittish, but he was extremely cooperative, and even walked right towards me within a few feet. The light was mostly overcast so a softer light. This is a slight crop from the left, otherwise composed as is. The background is a bit distracting I think, but I liked his pose.

P.S. really loving the 300/2.8 with x2TC, at first I didn't like it, but now, stopped down to F/8 and making sure I hold it real steady, It comes out tack sharp, for anyone intrested an unedited 100% crop: https://www.flickr.com/photos/92064838@N06/15235997608/in/photostream/lightbox/

Canon 1DmrkIII, Canon 300/2.8 L IS with x2TCII, 1/1000s, F/8, ISO640, John Heinz WR, 2014

gail bisson
10-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Hi Dvir,
The IQ is excellent and as you stated the light really helped to expose this bird beautifully.
He isn't the cleanest of specimens but this adds a gritty reality to the image.
I really do not like the dark vertical line (OOF shadow of tree) on the RHS. It really draws the eye away from the egret. I would evict that line in a heartbeat,
Gail

Dvir Barkay
10-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi Dvir,
The IQ is excellent and as you stated the light really helped to expose this bird beautifully.
He isn't the cleanest of specimens but this adds a gritty reality to the image.
I really do not like the dark vertical line (OOF shadow of tree) on the RHS. It really draws the eye away from the egret. I would evict that line in a heartbeat,
Gail

Thanks Gail!

Yeah, he was busy catching fish in the mud, and got rather dirty. Fact is white always shows dirt, I learned that from the shirt I wore when I took this and lay on the ground ;). I am so lazy with cloning that I find it a daunting 20min task to edit that out, maybe I am just slow at cloning. I will try though.

Marina Scarr
10-03-2014, 07:10 AM
You have a very nice portrait here with good exposure, lots of details and nice muted light. I agree with Gail that the shadow hurts the image.

Satish Ranadive
10-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Beautiful portrait with nice details in whites. Nice composition and lights.

Regards,
Satish.