PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Fire and Ice

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Sun peeking through Old Faithful plume in the winter of 2008. Recently processed with Topaz Simplify mostly color here, some dust bunny touchup, and detailing around the sun. Outside temperature was about 6 degrees F.
We started the hike that morning at 2 degrees and it warmed up by the time we got back all the way to 8 ;-). The steam freezes into ice crystals which sparkle in the sunlight (not seen here).

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Nancy Bell
10-02-2014, 06:57 PM
The layers of clouds and that bit of sun makes an intriguing composition to look at. For me I would experiment with having a bit more of the sun showing. Maybe a little more of the rim of the sun being seen through the clouds. I like the tint of blue around the sun. I couldn't tell from the image, but I like that it is the plume from Old Faithful. Sounds way too cold right now! Although I understand Yellowstone winter photography can be exceptional.

Dennis Bishop
10-02-2014, 10:00 PM
I like what you've got. The sun lighting the right edge of the plume is special, and I like the range of tones and the orange and blue colors. If you wanted to make it more dramatic, a duplicate layer in multiply blend mode would intensify the dark colors and make the light colors seem even brighter.

Diane Miller
10-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Love it! I didn't see the sun at first -- I'd cheat, if it were me, and outline it and add just a bit more to the hidden area -- but that may not be your vision.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Nancy, Dennis, Diane,

Thanks much for your comments. The sun was very obscured in this shot and I didn't really see it as a focal point (more an explanation). Looking at this now I see it's one of those that what I see might be a bit subtle ;-) I was taken by the cool and warm color of the geyser plumes in the cold air. I wish I had taken more shots that day (maybe it was the cold.... ha). The backlit plumes had a distinctive look that was hard to place. And I never did get a satisfactory image of the shimmering geyser "snow" in the sun that was so beautiful.

I understand we were quite lucky to see the sun on our stay. It's usually a heavy overcast most of the winter. The sights are fabulous if cold. I'll post one or two more for the theme. Nik Silver Efex is great for processing the whites and I didn't have it six years ago when I took these shots (it probably didn't exist). I'm appreciative of the theme for taking me back looking for white on white shots.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Cheryl Slechta
10-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Hi, Michael, I have a friend who was in Yellowstone a couple of weeks ago and it was 10 degrees the day he was there. I think my brain would freeze. I bet this was spectacular to see in person and I hope you post some more of them for the theme. I like the way the cloud swirls at the bottom - it almost looks like a tornado.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-04-2014, 04:34 PM
I was thinking an approaching storm. I like the idea of making the sun more evident. I love that bit of blue for more drama!

Anita Bower
10-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Could the sun be made to appear more clearly in the image? It took me a while to see it. Excellent composition. Wonderful placement of darks and lights.
After reading your explanation about the sun not being the focal point, I am content with it as is. Very nice image.