PDA

View Full Version : Red-Billed Oxpecker feast

Steve Kaluski
09-30-2014, 02:28 AM
Just started now to look at some of the SA images taken. Not much to say as it's fairly evident, albeit in some 'harsh' light even though shot at 9.45am. Certainly only having a few Buffs, they still managed to create a plague of irritating flies, something the OP had no concerns on, love the raised claw. Would have liked a bit more image content on the RHS, but these guys move around so quickly it's hard to keep track.

Steve

Subject: Red-Billed Oxpecker feeding on flies & insects (Buphagus erythrorhynchus)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/800s at f/8 ISO400 EV 0
Original format: Portrait, slight crop

Rachel Hollander
09-30-2014, 07:40 AM
Hi Steve - you certainly liked the oxpeckers on the buffaloes. Only problem was we had to sit with the little flies too :bg3:. The angle to the op and the raised claw certainly take this up a notch. Good choice on dof. Agree with you about the rhs. I also thought the tones were a bit more brown than black but it may be the light.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
09-30-2014, 07:43 AM
Love the story here, Steve! Wish the eye weren't cut. I would personally prefer more on the RHS or a tighter crop altogether.

Stu Bowie
09-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Hi Steve, I love Oxpeckers too, and they make great photo opportunities on any animal they are 'perched' on. This fellow stands out nicely against the darker hide of the buff, and great that we can see the flying flies against the grass BG. Focus spot on.

Walker Noe
09-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Very nice shot. However, for me, I like either in-your-face, up close and personal bird images or more environmental shots. This one falls in between. I would like a wider shot of the bull's head, where the bird is somewhat of an afterthought in the shot rather than being the focal point. I do like it very much, but it could be just a little better composition wise. I do understand that, hey, they're wild, we get what we get. EXP, sharpness, colors, etc. are all great.

TFS
Walker

Jim Crosswell
10-01-2014, 11:33 AM
I like the raised foot, flies, DOF and sharpness. Interesting image Steve.