PDA

View Full Version : Cape Vulture

Stu Bowie
09-29-2014, 10:50 PM
I visited a vulture hide on sunday. They leave out carcasses for the vultures to feed on, These are totally wild vultures that decent from the surrounding Malagiesburg mountain range. In this, Im posting something different from my norm. This is full frame, and although I feel more space is needed at the bottom of the frame, Ive left this as shot.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm +2X TC = 600mm
1/2000
F.7.1
ISO 800

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-30-2014, 01:04 AM
This is a beautiful shot, Stu! Obviously it would have been nice to have the full wingspan in the picture but then you would not be able to bring the body & face so close for better viewing. Nice detail all over and well exposed. Nice BG too - interesting that you have darker BG above the bird and lighter below. Well done on this one! :5

Stu Bowie
09-30-2014, 02:00 AM
interesting that you have darker BG above the bird and lighter below.

Thanks Tobie. The BG is untouched. The top part is a line of trees, and the lower part is grass. This is just how the wings covered the line between the trees and grass. The next frame is all the lighter colour ( grass ) as he was near to touch down.

Steve Kaluski
09-30-2014, 02:07 AM
Hi Stu, like your thinking here and agree, something different. The light has create some gorgeous warm colours in the subject and a cool BKG to boot! Agree on your own thoughts more below, but not always say when out in the field. Albeit 'picky' (hate that word, sorry) a ver slight CCW rotation so the wing edges are level on the trim edges I think may help, it's just that fraction off that the 'eye' picks up on, but certainly no deal breaker, just a thought. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Satish Ranadive
09-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Excellent image with wonderful details and colors. Great composition.
Love the frame, Stuart Sir.

Regards,
Satish.

Rachel Hollander
09-30-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi Stu - The hide certainly served you well to get close. This is great with nice tones and detail and a dynamic pose. While I agree it might be improved with a bit more room below, I also think that you can use the tightness to your advantage by coming in even more on the top. Crop from the top so that the outside upper edge of the wings is in each upper corner and the tightness looks even more planned.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
09-30-2014, 07:45 AM
This comp works really well, although I could see a tad more on the bottom like you. Great details under your wings. It appears as though your point of focus was on the bird's lower neck. I think a little more sharpening on the face would be helpful. Terrific, in your face image!

Bill Dix
09-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Great incoming shot, Stuart. Love the detail in the shadowed wings.

David Salem
09-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Great looking frame Stuart. I like the tight in coming comp showing lots of nice details.
Well captured

Richard Flack
09-30-2014, 01:16 PM
I really like this Stu. Shows off the awesome power and size of these birds. Love the detail! (I may well contact you to find out whether the site is open to others :))

Stu Bowie
09-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks a stack for all the feedback and suggestions on the comp. Always appreciated.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Amazing image Stu, nicely composed, lovely light & details.

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-30-2014, 11:03 PM
Thanks Tobie. The BG is untouched. The top part is a line of trees, and the lower part is grass. This is just how the wings covered the line between the trees and grass. The next frame is all the lighter colour ( grass ) as he was near to touch down.

I know Stu, I know ... I was only observing, not questioning! :t3 It's actually a nice feature of the scene and its adds some value to it.

Jim Crosswell
10-01-2014, 11:40 AM
I like the details, exposure, BG and in camera composition works for me. I would sharpen the head a little more too. Interesting image Stuart.