PDA

View Full Version : Hen Shoveler

David Salem
09-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Caught this Hen taking off in some early morning light at my local spot last winter. I love trying to get images of waterfowl taking off because you also get cool looking shots of the water as they blast off.

1DX---840mm---f7.1---ss1/3200---ISO800---HH from truck @ 8:15am---30% crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it.

David

gail bisson
09-29-2014, 06:58 PM
This is terrific David. Love the IQ and the spalsh.
Not much to critique with this image. I could see a version with more on the right to show the water depression completely and more on the right-I guess I am suggesting more of a pano.
This is a housekeeping issue but there is a dust spot in the water 2 inches in front of foot.
Great shot,
Gail

David Salem
09-29-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the nice comment Gail. I thought about keeping more of the water depression on the right but decided to tighten it up a little. Might work good as a pano too. Noticed the dust spot as I was posting but didn't go back and fix it.
Figures, I get " eagle eyes" on my first comment:bg3: Thanks again.

Enrique Patino
09-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Yes, I agree David. It is incredible to record how a bird takes off from the water like that and what it takes ... sure makes for a good action image. I like it as is. If i was printing it I might go a little looser.

Marina Scarr
09-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Gail sure does have eagle eyes for those dust bunnies!!! Killer image, David, so sharp and full of details. Gail makes a good point about a pano crop, but that's a completely different image. I'm enjoying the wing position here.

Satish Ranadive
09-30-2014, 05:50 AM
Marvelous image with spectacular take off pose. Great IQ. lovely colors, great details, beautiful flash, water ripples and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Bill Dix
09-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Wonderful take-off shot, David, with your usual fine detail, action and light. I understand the desire to keep the depression on the right, but I might have liked just a tad more space on the left as well, supporting Gail's pano suggestion. But as Marina says, that would be a different shot. Always nice when you can get two fine images for the price of one.

Daniel Cadieux
09-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Pretty neat pose and that water splash is cool too. A very entertaining image. There is a small speck underneath the water depression that I would also remove if mine, just for a cleaner "finish" to the image.

David Salem
09-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I will have to keep my eyes open for dust spots.

Stu Bowie
09-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi Dave, excellent IQ, and I like the light in this too. Well timed for the take off, and I agree, take offs from water always guarantee interesting shots with regards to splashes. Sharp where it counts, and I can see a version with a bit more space on the LHS.

Richard Flack
09-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Super image David.... love the wing position and action captured. Lovely light and simple BG. If anything, I would be tempted to show more of the splash and add a bit to the front. TFS

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Superb IQ on this one David, love the wing position. Awesome colours as well.

Joseph Przybyla
09-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Perfectly timed image, excellent IQ. Thank you for sharing.

Diane Miller
09-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Gorgeous action and IQ! Wonderful light, with the shadow of the neck on the back wingtip and the shadow of the front wingtip on the body.

Jim Crosswell
10-01-2014, 11:49 AM
I like the IQ, action, exposure, details and wing shadow on the body. I would add more room in front of the duck and keep the same amount of space behind creating a pano crop but that is personal preference. A real beauty as presented David!

David Salem
10-01-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I might try to re-post as a pano in the future

Frank Schauf
10-02-2014, 01:49 AM
Great timing, great action.