PDA

View Full Version : Theme: snow

Nancy Bell
09-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Living in northern Colorado at 8,000 ft. I always think of snow whenever I hear the word "white"! So here is some snow from last year. I applied a layer of topaz adjust 5, high key II. I am not yet ready for snow this year!

Randall Farhy
09-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Nancy, interesting composition with texture detail throughout. While the two little trees? in the upper left are probably there for depth, I feel the image would be a stronger abstract without them. I really like the unusual shapes created by whatever the snow is covering. Is there any room left/right for more of a panorama? Overall, the scene feels cold yet inviting-well done!

Dennis Bishop
09-30-2014, 10:00 AM
The shapes, diagonal lines, texture, and tonal range are all wonderful. The soft blue definitely fits. I like the two little verticals. For me, they show scale to some extent and add interest. With more scenes like this accompanying snow, I might not want it, yet, but I'd be looking forward to it.

Cheryl Slechta
09-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Hi, Nancy, it looks cold to me :) I like the abstract look and I don't mind the sticks - I think they add a little context. Here's a version without the blue tint - I used Nik CEP White Neutralizer and cropped a little off of the bottom. Hope you don't mind - not a better version but different.:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
09-30-2014, 10:46 PM
I think if the trees were a little sharper I would leave them in, so I might clone them out. I do like the original as presented with the cool blue-whites and the great detail in the snow.:bg3:

Nancy Bell
10-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks everyone for you thoughtful comments. I left those 2 little stick tops in for scale but I can also see a version without them. Thanks Cheryl for the bright white version. A different look entirely.

Anita Bower
10-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Wonderful curves! My eye goes right to the sharper one in the upper left third. I'd remove the sticks and let the image be a semi-abstract. Pleasing composition and processing. I like both versions.