PDA

View Full Version : Water Scorpion

Steve Maxson
09-29-2014, 10:34 AM
The Water Scorpion (Ranatra sp.) is not related to scorpions, but rather is a predatory freshwater insect. They are slow-moving and often stay in one place for long periods. They capture and hold prey (typically other invertebrates) with their forelegs and suck out the body fluids with their beak. The long "tail" is a breathing tube which allows them to breath while only the tip of the tube is at the surface. Photographed in my 2.5 gallon aquarium setup, 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/125, f/16, ISO 320, 2 radio-triggered 430EX flashes (manual mode, diffused), tripod, live view manual focus. I removed some of the floating bits of debris in the water and ran nr on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated

Jonathan Ashton
09-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Another gem of a shot. I like everything the lighting and the pose especially.
I am not surprised he is slow moving often staying put, I remember you making a similar remark about the smaller dragonfly nymphs. They too had a generous layering of algal strands which would I suspect help brake up their profile and help hide them when waiting for prey to pass by. Having said this they are of course pretty darn quick in the attack!

John Robinson
09-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Yes - very nice Steve. Nice backdrop too. (The part of this sort of photography I think is the most difficult.)
Over here we call these water Stick insects. Our "scorpions" Nepa spp), are much broader with a shorter air tube. Still got nice pincers at the front end though ! Good stuff
John

OvidiuCavasdan
10-07-2014, 01:47 PM
I like the composition and pose. Browns look very good against the greens and very nice details. Very well done.