PDA

View Full Version : Masai Mara Hyena

Gregor Bergquist
09-27-2014, 01:47 PM
This is from my trip to Masai Mara in Kenya this February. One of very few hyenas I saw there this time.
Photo taken in the last light this day, just outside the lodge we stayed at (Keekerok).

Nikon D3
Nikon 600 mm
f5,6 | 1/200 SS | ISO-2500

This is FF, adjusted curves, removed some spots and flies, and the usual pp.

Andreas Liedmann
09-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Hi Gregor i like this almost as is .
Comp and conversion does look very god to me. Just enough space to RH to give the look of the subject some space.I quite like the overall tones and contrast.
Only thing i would try is to get a bit more detail out of the whites in the neck of the subject.

Well done, :cheers:. TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2014, 07:14 AM
Hi Gregor - This works quite well as a b&w. Which program did you use for the conversion? I like the comp and the pose with good placement in frame. Good suggestion by Andreas.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Hi Gregor, add a Luminosity adjustment to the image and I think this will address certain comments & issues and will give you some more 'tonality' to the overall image. I like the overall conversion and density of blacks & whites, but for me it just needs a bit more of a softer edge to the higher white areas and this will bring some more substance back in. I might also be tempted to slightly darken the FG triangle just to add a bit more depth within the image to create a 'layering' effect. I do like the composition, framing, body posture and look away from camera.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
09-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Hi Gregor, a very nice conversion. Most is address already from the above comments. I might would darken the BG a tad mor,e but this is just me. Would address a bit more darks in the fur, that it stands up a bit more from the overall color of the image conversion. Just a thought.

enjoy your eve

Ciao Anette

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Nice pose and contrast in the conversion. I agree with the comments above on getting more out of the highlights (which on my screen look a bit blown as well).
We saw quite a few of them this time - not surprising given how many kills were being made