PDA

View Full Version : Theme - Harn Chiarascuro

Cheryl Slechta
09-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Hi, folks, I've been on a little vacation but wanted to contribute something for this theme. This was taken at the Harn Museum of Art (you've seen parts of it before) and I thought it would fit the theme. One of the skylights in the main foyer of the gallery. I was there for a talk by Phillip Scholz Rittermann who had a photography exhibit installed there. Marvelous panoramic shots of China's Grand Canal. His earlier work has gorgeous black and whites - night scenes in Germany and California scenes of the desert. You might want to check out his work. He shot the China panoramas with a Canon 5D Mark III and a Canon 24-105:S3:
This one is pretty much straight out of the camera. I darkened the background a little with a levels adjustment. The window looks almost like it has a Fractalius treatment but it doesn't.

Thanks for looking.

Nancy Bell
09-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Excellent! Love the look of the "floating" triangle in a rectangle. The additional small triangles in the window further the concept. It pays to look ALL around! Well seen and captured.

Hazel Grant
09-26-2014, 04:31 PM
yes, love the triangle of light. too bad those electric bulbs are there, but love the overall look

Dennis Bishop
09-26-2014, 10:05 PM
The lines and geometrical shapes are very appealing. So is the brown/blue color combination and the range of tones in the white. It's also nice that there's some variation in the background. Part of me agrees with Hazel about the lights, so I tried a number of things but decided I didn't like any as much as what you have here.

Cheryl Slechta
09-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Nancy, Hazel and Dennis. I like it better with the lights.

Judy Howle
09-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Nice point of view/composition and it does fit the theme nicely. I like the windows!

Jackie Schuknecht
09-27-2014, 03:05 PM
I really like the light/dark here Cheryl and the composition with the triangular shape placed nicely within the frame. I think for an even more abstract effect, I think it would be nice to see it w/o the lights too.

Kerry Perkins
09-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Lots of triangles and geometrical shapes going on here for loads of interest and graphic look. The lights don't bother me, but I would like to see a version without them also. I think that would really solidify the graphic elements of the image by leaving only straight lines and high contrast elements.

Anita Bower
09-28-2014, 07:08 AM
I like the many triangles in this image. Well seen and captured.

Cheryl Slechta
09-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone for commenting. Here's a version without the lights. If I were going to print this, etc. I'd probably work on the lighting on the bottom frame.

Nancy Bell
09-28-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm good with the lights in the image. They are abstract enough and add an unexpected element among all the triangles.

Randall Farhy
09-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Another excellent structural abstract, I like both versions and would have a difficult time choosing. What really catches my eye is how the shape seems to float in space without looking flat. Placement and treatment of the window gives this one a great sense of depth and perspective. I also love the tones and color balance. On the 2nd version, I'd be inclined to remove the dark blotch on the upper frame edge. Building abstracts were a favorite subject way back when and seeing these are inspiring. This is a strong piece, keep up the great work!

Cheryl Slechta
09-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Randall, dark blotch will be removed :)