PDA

View Full Version : Fast 1:1 viewer for CR2 files?

Miguel Palaviccini
09-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Hey guys,

I used to shoot nikon and used View NX to quickly go through images at 1:1. Lightroom just takes way too long to generate 1:1 preview. With my computer (2009 Macbook Pro, SSD drive and 8GB RAM - maxed out), it takes about 30 minutes per 100 images to generate the 1:1 previews.

I'm looking for something that I can use to cull through images quickly before importing to LR. I know that PhotoMechanic would do the trick, but I would prefer to not spend that kind of money on a viewer.

Any ideas?

Miguel

Arthur Morris
09-26-2014, 04:23 PM
You might take a look at DPP 4.0. Arash and I are will be finishing up a DPP 4.0 RAW Conversion Guide in about two weeks. He does all of his editing, i.e., selecting his keepers, in DPP 4.0 and he is a stickler for sharpness and fine detail.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Yep, I've tried DPP for viewing, and it isn't much faster than LR.

I haven't played with it much for editing, but I may give it a shot. I have the original DPP guide that you and Arash wrote. Is the new one an update that we get for free if we purchased the original (kind of like the Digital Basics that I also have)?

Arthur Morris
09-26-2014, 06:22 PM
I do my editing in BreezeBrowser which offers pretty much instantaneous viewing. I have Parallels and BrBr on my new 15 inch macbook Pro....

The new guide is a stand-alone purchase as DPP 4.0 is all new and totally different from DPP 3 point whatever.... So no, not a free update as we usually offer.

arash_hazeghi
09-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Yep, I've tried DPP for viewing, and it isn't much faster than LR.

I haven't played with it much for editing, but I may give it a shot. I have the original DPP guide that you and Arash wrote. Is the new one an update that we get for free if we purchased the original (kind of like the Digital Basics that I also have)?

My 2013 MBA (8GB RAM) takes about 4 seconds to generate a 100% view out of a CR2 file. If yours is slower you may consider checking your system, or perhaps installation is corrupt?

Miguel Palaviccini
09-27-2014, 08:30 AM
I guess maybe the question is what affects the loading of a full preview ... I've seen Doug's MBA and it loads 1:1 previews in a snap. What exactly would I check in the system?

arash_hazeghi
09-27-2014, 03:42 PM
I guess maybe the question is what affects the loading of a full preview ... I've seen Doug's MBA and it loads 1:1 previews in a snap. What exactly would I check in the system?

I checked the spec's. I think it's the CPU, Core 2 Duo. The CPU is way too old and underpowered for modern RAW conversion software...

Andreas Liedmann
09-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Hi Miguel you should check out "Lyn" , image viewer for mac , cost nothing as long as you stick to the base version , permanent trial .
Lyn is as fast (well almost) as PhotoMechanic, at least on MacPro 2010

Hope that helps, cheers Andreas

Arthur Morris
09-30-2014, 08:23 PM
With me doing my editing in BreezeBrowser using High Quality 4 seconds is the equivalent of about 3 centuries. I view about 3 images a month at 100%.... And the funny thing is that I have been doing OK with my digital images for the last 13 years....