PDA

View Full Version : Buachaille Etive Mor

carlday555
09-26-2014, 01:54 PM
Hi All,

Here's one I took earlier in the year from Scotland, Buachaille Etive Mor - Converted to BW in Photoshop CC and sharpened.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p373/Grimfangdango/Bauchelle-Etive_zpse02e5d7a.jpg

Cheers,

Carl.

www.cardayphotography.co.uk (http://www.cardayphotography.co.uk)

Don Railton
09-29-2014, 01:47 AM
Hi Carl.

Nice lead through the rocks to the mountain and the sky is very moody. Well seen..! It looks to be wonderful landscape image country. I would prefer a little more cropped of the bottom so that rock in the corner with the black lichen is gone.. That's my personal preference, I know other will want it kept..
I see you are new to this forum so I hope you don't mind me telling you that its usual in this forum to post your camera settings to help with the critique. It is also requested that you comment on 3 to 5 other images also... My suggestion to improve this image is that it looks to be over sharpened. The reason I suggest this is that you can see the mountain has a faint outline halo and also the rocks have a crunchy whitish texture.

DON

Diane Miller
09-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Carl, this is wonderful! I love the dramatic mountain, the way the foreground rocks lead the eye to it, and the wonderful sky! I think Don's crop suggestion is a good one.

I look forward to seeing more from you!

Carl Day
09-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the comments guy's and critique Don, much appreciated. I've attached another copy with the suggestion's applied. you'll have to bear with me, I've changed my computer over to a MAC and things are still a little alien to me, screen especially (retina display) photo's look great as large files but become harder to see when smaller.

Also, I've seemed to have signed in to the wrong account? not sure how it's happened - looks liked I've picked up an old account. If any Admin see this could you possibly delete the account under the name of carlday555, no longer used, I think it was one I lost touch with a while ago.

Thanks,

Sorry for being a pain!

Carl.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p373/Grimfangdango/Bauchelle-Etive_zpscd8de432.jpg

Canon 5D3 - 17-40mm - 4s F14 ISO 100

Diane Miller
09-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Much better, for me. And I didn't mention what appears to be haze on the top of the mountain -- much better with it corrected.

Carl Day
10-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks Diane, the bit at the top of the mountain was actually a wisp of cloud but it didn't look right after I converted it to black and white so decided to leave it out on the re-post.

Carl.

Andrew McLachlan
10-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Hi Carl, welcome to the landscape forum. My preference is for the original post. I like the darker look to the B&W conversion, but the haze on the mountain top which is troublesome is corrected nicely in the repost. Looking forward to seeing more!

Morkel Erasmus
10-06-2014, 06:22 AM
Welcome Carl.
Nice composition from a place I'd love to visit - Scotland.
The repost is much better in terms of overall IQ, but the sharpness is now lacking a bit for me. I would also play with dodge and burn to increase apparent tonal range in the rocks and midground to add some punch.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work!