PDA

View Full Version : Foggy Golden Gate

Hazel Grant
09-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Took this in August on a typical foggy San Francisco day. very slight rotation adjust/ noise reduction
Nikon D7000 1/2000, f14, iso800

Diane Miller
09-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Yup. Been like that for about 2 months now. Enough, already!

Nice classic view. I might think about cropping from the bottom and/or darkening the LR.

Hazel Grant
09-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks. I wondered about that crop. Had a hard time figuring out how much to crop so that it didn't crowd the bridge. Will work on that.

Rachel Hollander
09-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Hi Hazel - it's a moody image but I think you need a wider tonal range for it to really work as a b&w. Which program did you use for the conversion? You can try a levels adjustment bringing in the rhs in until just before the whites clip and perhaps some curves adjustments to give it some punch. Also the image doesn't have an embedded color profile, even with a b&w, you should have an embedded profile for optimal viewing. I think it needs the slightest amount of cw rotation. I too would crop from the bottom getting rid of the fence coming in from the right. I took some from a similar vantage point on my recent trip and have to crop as well on some of them. Finally there are some dust bunnies.

TFS,
Rachel

Hazel Grant
09-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks. Rachel. I'm still working on that embedded color profile. Diane gave me some guidelines and I thought I had it, but obviously not. back to square one on that. I'll work on it because I know it helps. I use PS CS6. There is obviously a calibration issue I need to work on too, because it's not as dark on my monitor. It prints out better than it shows here. And yes, I missed the dust bunnies. (you know, this was one of those weeks when I couldn't seem to get anything, even as simple as dust bunnies, right....I'll try to get my head on straight next time:)

Diane Miller
09-27-2014, 03:38 PM
There's a picture of the Save for Web dialog, with the important settings circled, in the tutorial on preparing images for the web, in the Educational Resources forum. It should download as a PDF so you can have it handy. Once you check those settings they "should" be sticky.

It could use a little brightening, but I can assure you that it usually IS this drab! Only in the summer tourist season though. Then it used to start raining and be drab and wet all winter. But that seems to be a thing of the past now. Last winter was beautiful....

Hazel Grant
09-27-2014, 04:14 PM
I was using that save for web dialog but checked it a bit ago and realized I'd missed the embed check. I'll try to be more careful about that.

Dvir Barkay
09-29-2014, 02:01 AM
I would crop a tad bit from the bottom as well as remove some dust bunnies, very film noire feel to it.

dankearl
10-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Terrific B & W, just a bit more PP work as noted and you will have a very nice photo.

Andrew McLachlan
10-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Hi Hazel, love the fog and the B&W conversions is a lovely touch...do agree on a crop from the bottom and the dust bunnies. I would also crop a little off the left side too so that the bridge is not quite so centered.

Hazel Grant
10-07-2014, 09:53 AM
thanks everyone.