PDA

View Full Version : Adelie Chicks Enjoying a Snow Day

Linda Dulak
09-25-2014, 07:45 AM
The photos of penguins that Andreas and Ian have been posting have encouraged me to look back at some more of mine taken this last January. This photo always brings a smile to my face as this chick began running around as it started to snow. It reminded me of little kids enjoying the mud and the snow. They were about 2 weeks from fledging and were about to start to lose all that down. This was taken on one of the Fish Islands in Marguerite Bay, south of the Antarctic Circle on the West Coast of the peninsula.

Nikon D7000, 28-300 @ 300, f7.1, 1/1250, ISO 800

Loi Nguyen
09-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Hi Linda, great to see these chicks. The image seems a little tight to me, wondering if you have more room especially on the right and top. The bright part on the top left is drawing attention, perhaps you can try a luminosity mask. Loi

Randy Stout
09-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Linda:

Def. made me smile! Love the enthusiasm of the front chick. Good points from Loi. I am not particularly bothered by the crop, but the snow bank does draw our attention away from the birds.

The back birds face makes me think of a shrew for some reason.

Cheers

Randy

Norm Dulak
09-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Hi Linda.

Of the many interesting photographs you brought back from Antarctica, this one really pleases me. Kids love to play in the snow, and those little Adelies were certainly no exception. You have captured a charming and very special moment here. I agree with Randy about the bright snow bank but like this very much.

Linda Dulak
09-28-2014, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the comments. I tried to tone down the white snow and used detail extractor. But part of it is still quite glaring white but I think it's improved. What do you think?

Linda

Randy Stout
09-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Linda:

Perhaps a version in between re: the snow. The repost helped with the brightness, but the effect looks a bit unnatural. Not always easy to correct.

I find detail extractor can work well, but not always.

I would probably try a luminosity mask as well, and then brush in a lower brightness level to taste. Can be more subtle than detail extractor.

Cheers

Randy

Linda Dulak
09-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Randy: I'll take a look at your technique. For now the image has been reworked just using Vivezza, putting a control point on the snow and decreasing the brightness. It's much more subtle than my first try. What do you think?

Linda