PDA

View Full Version : The night sky again..

Don Railton
09-25-2014, 04:45 AM
Hi Guys

Taken at the same spot as the last two posts but a lot higher in the sky, (overhead) and a little later in the night. Colours may be OTT as it's a little hard to know what to do and when to stop when you are doing it... Feel free speak you mind on this issue (or any other) with my images.. I really don't mind...

1D4 + distagon 18mm F3.5 lens wide open at 20 sec, ISO 6400, tripod of course. This is full frame. Processed similar to the other but I have forgotten the details because I was playing..:t3

DON

Diane Miller
09-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Very nice! You've pulled out a lot more detail here, and now it looks more like our view up north. By looking up you got away from the atmospheric haze. Looks like you have a much better view of the galactic center -- it's a little low in the frame from our latitude of around 38 degrees.

Who knows what the colors should be? I usually set daylight WB and don't mess too much with the colors.

Rachel Hollander
09-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Hi Don - nice look at the Milky Way. I agree it's difficult to know the right colors and WB to use. To me this image doesn't look as sharp as the previous image. I know that you used the same length of exposure but maybe it is just more evident without the sharp pinnacles to anchor the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Jackie Schuknecht
09-28-2014, 04:54 PM
It looks quite stunning to me. I love the colours!

Don Railton
09-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Hi Ladies.... Thank for your replies. I have been away down south to see my daughter so this reply is later than usual for me. Rachel, I was a little more cautious with this image WRT sharpening because there is a lot more detail in this one that the first post and I was worried about turning noise into stars.. So I went conservative, and as per usual I tend to over do things... Thanks Jackie, glad you liked it and Good luck with your trip Diane. I hope the smoke all disappears for you. I hoped to get another look at the sky while down south but unfortunately it rained...

DON

Andrew McLachlan
10-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Hi Don, I like this one a lot. I see what Rachel means...maybe a smidgen more sharpening is needed. Very nicely done!

Morkel Erasmus
10-06-2014, 06:27 AM
Nice one Don. I prefer shooting in tungsten/fluorescent when shooting the stars but others don't agree with me and that's fine - artistic interpretation eh...
This does look like it could do with more sharpening. Perhaps your tripod caught a slight breeze as the core of the image should be quite sharp at 18mm for 20seconds?

Don Railton
10-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Hi Morkel, there was no wind so I think the most likely cause is the processing and my over cautious sharpening... I have had a bit of back trouble over the last week and I have not had a chance to sit at the computer long enough to have another look at it...but will do. The colours/WB is a challenge but it's fun playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk