PDA

View Full Version : Plover love

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-24-2014, 11:50 PM
I have always stood in awe seeing these birds' will to adapt and survive - even in a modern society. This Crowned Plover pair layed their eggs on a friend's lawn - exposed to passers by, cats, dogs, you name it. The first two siblings were born 1 and 2 days ago respectively and while mom was guarding this two-hours old chick, dad was already walking the others and teaching them how to peck some food off the ground! As young as it was, this chick was already capable of taking a few steps towards mom if she moved away a bit. Absolutely amazing!

Obviously the sun was a non-negotiable here as that's where these guys lay their eggs. The usual shadows & clarity adjustments in LR. Single round of mild USM in PS.

All C & C's welcome.

Nikon D600
AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR @200mm.
f/8 | 1/800s | 320 ISO | tripod

Richard Flack
09-25-2014, 10:46 AM
You have captured a precious moment here Tobie. Well done. My two suggestions would be to consider visting the birds later in the day or early morning as the light does look a little harsh and also consider getting a low angled shot (as this may help provide a less busy/more pleasing BG). Thanks for sharing.

Jim Crosswell
09-25-2014, 10:58 AM
I like the interaction, interesting eye and squarish composition. Good suggestions by Richard. Look forward to seeing more, thanks.

Marina Scarr
09-26-2014, 09:05 PM
How adorable. The chick must have just crawled out of its egg. You were obviously dealing with difficult lighting, but what a great story.