PDA

View Full Version : Banded Demoiselle

Darren forde
05-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Hello (from UK).

I went looking for early Dragon's this morning on my local water meadows. Time was getting on - 10:00 local and the light was getting harsh. Lots of Damsel's but no Dragon's.

I shot a few of these Banded Dem's but they were all perching in vegetation or on leaves surrounded by the same. I was thinking, ' oh well - I'll take what I can get '.

Finally, as I was making my way along the river out of the meadow, I found this chap. He hunted and fed on small fly's in front of me for around 15 min's. However, the breeze was picking up and then I found my wifes tripod ( I foolishly decided to take it rather than my own - why?) , which uses the same Manfrotto video-head as I have on my own tripod, only slightly newer - didn't fit the quick release plate on my lens foot! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to balance the camera set up on the head and pray.

I really can't wait for the Horse fly's to come out. I really like those. They really add to the enjoyment of a walk in the meadows.

Canon 1D MK2 ; 300mm F/2.8 + EF 25 tube + EF 1.4x TC ; Remote

ISO 400 ; F/5.6 ; 1/200 sec ; EV Comp -0.7

Julie Kenward
05-23-2008, 12:15 PM
I love these damsels...and this photo really shows it off. Beautiful colors and nice, sharp detail. Great BG. Love the eye contact. My only nitpick might be a little smidge more room up by the top right wing.

Robert O'Toole
05-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Love your image Darren, the beautiful metallic blues look very good, and the perch and BG are great also. You nailed the DOF and focus!

My only detail that I would change is maybe slightly more room in the frame/ slightly less cropping.

You mentioned Horseflies do you get chances to try Robber flies there?

Robert

John Cooper
05-23-2008, 10:39 PM
What a beautiful Damsel Darren - I love that iridescent blue, quite spectacular!!! Agree with Robert that a little extra canvas, particularly at the top would improve composition.
Yes I can relate (as most of us could) to your dilemma with the tripod - I am sure everyone has experienced a similar situation where some useful, if not essential, accessory has been left at home!!

Alfred Forns
05-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Just the extra room for me !!! Love the colors and clean bg !! Very appealing image !!!!

Roman Kurywczak
05-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Hey Darren,
The colors on this are truly spectacular. Just more room at top......and this works just fine!

Mike Moats
05-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Hey Darrin, a really nice pose and great color and BG. I like everything as is.

Ed Prete
05-26-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree, excellent as posted and the iridescence is excellent.