PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise serenity

Marc Mol
09-24-2014, 09:10 AM
Early sunrise and we found this lion pride bringing their cubs down to the lake edge to wash down a gnu they had killed the previous night.
The leading cub here is showing great initiative as it's normally an adult that cross the water first.

Lake Ndutu- North Tanzania. Cropped for comp with slight levelling, lumo mask, levels, curves adj & WB in ACR & PS CC.

D4 500 f/4 VRII 1/320s f/4 ISO3200. Being very early in the morning, light was at a premium here.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Nancy Bell
09-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Great catch of this brave little cub by himself & the family looking on from shore! The uniqueness and wow factor of this image are the great reflections in the still blue water and the cub & most of the other lions are looking at you. And just like any crowd, some one has to turn away at just the wrong moment. But this is only a minor issue. I keep playing with the crop and wonder about shaving a bit more off the top so none of the sky shows, just a strip of the hazy green. The lighter blue catches my eye like a distant focal point and pulls it up from the starring cub. The gentle widening circle of disturbed water around the cub & his tentative pose really helps to tell the story.

Marc Mol
09-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Many thank Nancy

I had considered the top sky section crop and almost went with that as well, but felt it was just a little tight on top, but one that is ceratainly viable.

Rachel Hollander
09-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Marc - this is a really lovely image with a great 3D feel to it. You must have been a decent distance away because the dof works encompasses all despite the f4 aperture. Nicely exposed as well. I looked at Nancy's suggested crop too but like you, feel it is a little too tight at the top then. Any more room to the left. I'd just like a little more of the closest cub. Love the blue of the sky reflected in the water.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
09-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Nice one Marc !! Only one little piece missing to be an almost perfect 10 ........... the lioness looking the wrong way :e3, but nothing we can do about , nature playing its own game.

TFS Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Marc, this is magnificent! Spectacular image, great exposure, lovely detail and composition! This needs to be framed!!!!

Marc Mol
09-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Many thanks Rachel, Andreas & Sanjeev.

Nice one Marc !! Only one little piece missing to be an almost perfect 10 ........... the lioness looking the wrong way :e3, but nothing we can do about , nature playing its own game.

TFS Andreas

True........but one always has to have someone watching your back. :w3

Gregor Bergquist
09-24-2014, 02:17 PM
I´m joining the cheering crowd. It is a killer shot. I really love all about it. :5

Gabriela Plesea
09-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Hello Marc!

You know how much I love this! I never had the opportunity to photograph lions near such a large body of water...I simply adore the daring little fellow who is showing the way!

Well processed and composed, Marc. One of your most memorable images, especially for me since I love these big cats!

Kind regards,

Mike Poole
09-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Absolutely stunning shot. The confidence of the cub leading the gang is great to see, and the tranquil water really makes the scene pop. Whilst it would have been great to have had the lioness looking the same way, the look back also tells a story of the mother willing the stragglers to catch up. Excellent work

Edward Arthur
09-24-2014, 07:42 PM
I have to jump on the bandwagon here. Fabulous shot, sparkling clarity and the cats totally pop. The lionesses protectively looking in two directions further engages me as a viewer IMO.

Marc Mol
09-25-2014, 04:45 AM
Many thanks Gabriela, Gregor, Mike & Ed.

Whilst it would have been great to have had the lioness looking the same way, the look back also tells a story of the mother willing the stragglers to catch up.

The lionesses protectively looking in two directions further engages me as a viewer IMO.

Good observation guys and that was indeed the case.:w3

Carl Walker
09-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Beautiful image Marc. Very beautiful light and well captured. As a matter of interest did you frame it in camera like this or just cropped such?

Marc Mol
09-26-2014, 02:41 AM
Thanks Carl

Beautiful image Marc. Very beautiful light and well captured. As a matter of interest did you frame it in camera like this or just cropped such?

This is around a 20% crop.

Andre Pretorius
09-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Hi Marc

Priceless moment captured here!
The two females looking in different directions does capture their behaviour spot on!
I am a sucker for close ups, WDYT of this? Might have to clone the shore on top, if your ethics allow.

Anette Mossbacher
09-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Love this Marc :))