PDA

View Full Version : World Rhino Day

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2014, 09:06 AM
I'm joining Steve in celebrating World Rhino Day but combining it with a theme image too :S3:. As Steve said, let's hope that future generations can still enjoy all species of rhino in the wild! Taken late afternoon in an undisclosed location.

Canon 7D
300 II
1/800
f5.6
ISO 800
HH from safari vehicle, ff, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustment and sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi Rachel, just wondering if a square format might work too?

The reason I say that is unless you have more leg, it's a little bit neither here nor there and there is little at the foot too, no pun intended. In doing so it concentrates primarily on the head, but worry about the 7D IQ??? I like the subtle Ox Pecker and the ear bent back, was this the encounter with the male? There are such gorgeous animals and look so cool with that horn in tact!

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Hi Steve - yes, that's the sighting. I shot vertical to avoid the road that the rhino was standing in. I could go to square but it's not my favorite crop these days. I think the 7D IQ will be fine. That camera gets a bad knock but if exposed properly the IQ is fine.

Thanks,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-22-2014, 10:24 AM
That's fine, it was just a thought, wish we could have sound to this image, the noises were priceless. :bg3:

Gabriela Plesea
09-22-2014, 12:08 PM
This is one gorgeous rhino and I like the soft afternoon light falling gently on him, lots of detail and I like the framing, although I am sure the square crop suggestion from Steve would work just as well. Enjoyed viewing tremendously and I am very grateful that you too care so much about the rhino, many thanks for posting this image Rachel:5

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Yes Steve, sound was incredible with the little one bleating too. Hopefully, Alison will have some footage on her final edited reel.

Thanks Gabriela as always for your comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
09-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Hi Rachel, love the light on the big fellow, and you have brought out the detail on the hide nicely. Glad you included the oxpecker, even though he was looking the other way. :w3 I quite like the vertical comp.

Andreas Liedmann
09-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Hi Rachel kind of awkward looking rhino with the ears flipped back :eek3:.
I am fine with the comp and think the square could work too.Nice tones and colors , but i would personally bring a bit more depth into the 1/4 tones.

TFS Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Rachel, this is a cool image, great look at those horns, nice light and HA.

Anette Mossbacher
09-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Hi Rachel,

agree with the others not much to ad to this one, all said and I can hear the noise they make :w3

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks Stu, Sanjeev, Andreas and Anette for the comments and suggestions. As always, they are very much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Andre Pretorius
09-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Hi Rachel

Love the detail on hide with just the right amount of contrast.
Capturing him nibbling on the scrub adds a lot.
Agree with the square crop.
Nice one:S3: