PDA

View Full Version : Souther hawker ovipositing

Jonathan Ashton
09-22-2014, 03:32 AM
Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L & 25mm ext tube, Auto ISO 1250 1/320 sec f11
All C&C welcome.

Steve Maxson
09-23-2014, 02:44 PM
You really made the most of your opportunities with this cooperative dragonfly, Jon! Yet another very cool behavioral image! I would wish that the wing wasn't crossing over the eye, but I love the reflection! I think this could stand a little CW rotation. Very nicely done!

Norm Dulak
09-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Very nice Jon, I really like it! My only suggestion for you to consider would be to crop off a little from the right side. Just enough to eliminate the blurred part at the upper right corner. Then everything important would be sharp.

Ron Conlon
09-23-2014, 06:46 PM
A really wonderful, rich scene. The low angle, the symmetries, the intense background and interesting environment really combine for a wonderful almost unearthly effect.

Jonathan Ashton
09-26-2014, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, this dragonfly presented me with many opportunities, I am pleased with the results but as your comments have indicated I never managed the ideal pose, at any one moment in time the wings were in the wrong place or the background wasn't ideal or the ovipositor was not visible etc. I am going to clear the pond of many plants this year hopefully not losing too many critters or eggs, I will try to find more homogeneous logs for next year too but finding a fairly dark yet rotten log isn't too easy.

Ron Conlon
09-28-2014, 03:05 PM
...I am going to clear the pond of many plants this year hopefully not losing too many critters or eggs, I will try to find more homogeneous logs for next year too but finding a fairly dark yet rotten log isn't too easy.

Now that is investing serious thought, time and effort into a shot! Looking forward to next year's.

OvidiuCavasdan
10-08-2014, 11:52 AM
I like this a lot! Good sharpnes on the dragonfly, very nice reflection and the water in foreground looks great in my opinion. Agree about cropping a bit from right side. Excellent!