PDA

View Full Version : Theme Timbavati Leopard

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Hi All,
Am back from a fantastic trip to Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, South Africa. Had some amazing game drives and we were lucky to see quiet a few leopards (7 in total). Thanks to all of you for your encouragement always. This is one of them up on a tree. Since we could off-road we got real close most of the time & this one is full frame with my 7D and 500 II. Hope you like it.
1/500
f/4
ISO 800
500 mm
Hand held

Rachel Hollander
09-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Hi Sanjeev - Welcome back! The Timbavati is a great place. I've been there 3 times now. Which lodge did you stay at? Nice pose and light. Exposure looks good too. I do feel that you needed more dof here because much of the face is soft. The paw and forearm actually looks sharper. Where was the focal point? Looking forward to seeing more from your trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Carl Walker
09-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Hi Sanjeev - Love these cats and I like the framing and its position in a typical leopard fashion. I think you may have needed more dof - I make this same mistake often when too close to subject and in the moment of excitement just let rip to get something before clearing my head. Not too sure where your FP is as it seems ok around the eyes and foreleg which is probably on the same plane. I am sure the blacks are little choked as well. Those eyes are so captivating. WD and TFS:w3

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks Rachel & Carl. The FP was just below the left eye. Agree I should have used higher F stop but I was already on ISO 800 on my 7D and didn't want to push it. I shall post more with different settings. Rachel, I stayed at Kabmaku Safari lodge in Timbavati, Nice place, and the ranger Evan was very knowledgeable & helpful.

Andre Pretorius
09-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Hi Sanjeev

Stunning moment captured!
Love the pose..
Agree with DOF.

Gabriela Plesea
09-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Sanjeev, a warm welcome back and thank you for this post! I will abstain from repeating the crits above, I too made the same mistake - again - today, and was too taken with what I was shooting that I had forgotten to change the F-stop. I love the pose you have captured, love the warmth of the scene and the framing is just right. The eyes make this image for me, I gather you had a fantastic trip and many more sightings, hope you share those with us!

Kind regards,

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-22-2014, 12:28 AM
Great shot, sanjeev! I love the clarity and the blank stare - kind of 'The lights are on, but no-one's home...'! Nice moment beautifully captured! :5

Anette Mossbacher
09-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Hi Sanjeev,

great pose of this one, Rachel gave you already the sharpness thing which jumped in my eyes right away!
Why f/4? You could have gone a tad higher in ISO easily and also a tad higher in f/#
Sometimes we just forget and I am sure now you never will forget that :t3
The seed is planted

Have a great evening

Ciao
Anette

Andreas Liedmann
09-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi Sanjeev good to hear you had a great trip .
Nice opener of that leopard , DOF and blacks issue already covered .Nice comp and pleasing BKG. The eyes are looking very good.

TFS Andreas