PDA

View Full Version : On an Escalator

Dvir Barkay
09-20-2014, 12:07 AM

A shot from Greece, the famous Roman theatre of Epidaurus. The light was midday light, and lots of people, also its a tough theatre to work in a wide angle landscape. So I opted to try and do more intimate views. Here is a shot of another visitor to the site walking up the stairs of the theatre. I recommend viewing it in a new tab by right clicking on the image as that is much better for vertical shots.

Sony A700, Tamron 70-300, 180mm, F/8, ISO 320, 1/1600s, Ancient ruins of Epidaurus in Greece, 2014

Don Railton
09-21-2014, 03:34 AM
HI Dvir... I like your concept here.... I think I might have wanted your character off center a little more (~4 or 5 steps down) if it were possible. It is sharp and the colour of the character and his modern casual dress works well against the old and grey ruins...

Don

Hazel Grant
09-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Nice visual concept here. The contrast of the bright colors of the person vs the old rough stones is good. Great Title! I don't have a problem with the placement of the person, but that is, as always, a personal choice.

Andrew McLachlan
09-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Hi Dvir, I really like what you were going for here. I would prefer if he was a little more into the lower right area of the photo, but still think that this works too. I can almost hear him saying "Am I almost at the top"

Dvir Barkay
09-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Hi Dvir, I really like what you were going for here. I would prefer if he was a little more into the lower right area of the photo, but still think that this works too. I can almost hear him saying "Am I almost at the top"

Thank you all for the comments.

I to originally had it cropped with him in the lower right a little bit, working with the rule of thirds. It would indeed give him room to look into so to speak and be more compositionally correct. But, somehow that made the stairs looks much less symmetrical and I just like it better this way for some reason. I can try in the future to go back to a more rule of thirds style compo, but I personally really like it symmetrical like this.

Morkel Erasmus
10-06-2014, 06:10 AM
Well seen and captured, Dvir! I agree with the above, having the "climber" a little down towards the RHS would have taken this from "very nice" to "uber nice" :5