PDA

View Full Version : Rockhopper Penguin portrait

Andreas Liedmann
09-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Hi all another one from the Falklands , this time taken on Sea Lion Island in that colony of the Rockhoppers.

Not sure if this is too tight , i am 50/50 on this one , if so i have to add canvas because it is FF.

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 500 IS L
Tripod

F 5,6 ; Iso 320 ; !/640 sec

Processed with PhotoNinja and PS CC

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

MiroslavMaric
09-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Hi Andreas. Very good portrait. I like the neutral light, natural color of the bird and well balanced BG. It's sharp. If mine I would add 15% canvas to the left and 10% to the top. TFS.

Cheers, Miro

Grace Scalzo
09-19-2014, 04:28 PM
I have no problem at all with the composition. There is so much detail and interest that my eye travelled easily throughout the frame taking it all in .

Shawn Zierman
09-19-2014, 04:32 PM
The textures of the bird's plumage shows so well, I just want to reach out and pet the bird to see if it feels as velvety as it looks. Fantastic details on the bird sir. Composition works well as is, but sure I could see other versions working well too. The bird does need to clean it's bill up though....what do they teach these young rockhoppers regarding grooming now a days..... :)

Daniel Cadieux
09-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Fantastic, love it in every way. Excellent details and great job on both the blacks and the whites. I do like Miro's suggest crop tweak as another option, but it looks fine as is too.

Diane Miller
09-19-2014, 10:49 PM
What gorgeous detail and perfect pose to show it off! A little added on top would work for me, but it's so stunning that it' hardly necessary.

Ian Wilson
09-20-2014, 02:12 AM
Nice work Andreas. It is easy from the armchair to say you needed more DOF but I know only too well that such advice is pointless unless whispered in your ear at the time of shooting. You have done a great job here and I think the composition is not too tight but just right. Regards, Ian

Richard Flack
09-20-2014, 03:14 AM
Super portrait Andreas, love the bird, the detailed textures and his cool hairdo. And I dont think it is too tight. TFS

Tom van den Brandt
09-20-2014, 04:20 AM
I like this very much Andreas. Very fine details in the plumage, eye looks great and the comp is fine as it is for me. Great looking bird it is too. TFS

Tom

Ritesh Nangare
09-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Great Portrait ,

With stunning details ......... TFS.

Joseph Przybyla
09-20-2014, 08:57 AM
A beautiful portrait, great detail and color, lovely composition. I am jealous... thank you for sharing.

Andreas Liedmann
09-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks folks for all your kind comments , much appreciated

David Salem
09-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Lots of great portraits this week and this one really looks great. I like the tight comp focusing on all the nice feather details. Techs look great too. Well done

Stu Bowie
09-21-2014, 12:28 AM
Hi Andreas, love the soft light in this, and in turn, you managed to control the exposure perfectly. Excellent detail throughout, and Im fine with the comp.

Steen Torner
09-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Hi Andreas,

I am a great fan of these Rockhoppers and your image is excellent with fine details and a perfect exposure. Also, the blurred and light colored background is fine.
As the crop is very tight at the top of the picture, I would actually suggest cropping the right side further. If you crop the right side about 10 percent it would add to the composition.

Regards Steen :S3:

Jim Crosswell
09-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Excellent image Andreas! I like the sharpness, details, HA, exposure and tight composition works for me.