PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly nymph

Steve Maxson
09-19-2014, 11:01 AM
This nymph is an early instar (the wing pads are still very small) of one of the Darner dragonflies (I think this is the Common Green Darner - Anax junius). This is a relatively active species - slowly stalking around in the aquatic vegetation searching for prey. Photographed in my 2.5 gallon aquarium setup, 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/125, f/16, ISO 320, 2 radio-triggered 430EX flashes (manual mode, diffused), tripod, live view manual focus, cable release. I removed some of the floating bits of debris in the water and ran nr on the background. I also used a quick mask to move the vegetation in the ULC further right in the frame for compositional purposes. All comments are welcome and appreciated

Diane Miller
09-19-2014, 10:30 PM
What beautiful detail -- but what I really love about these aquarium images is the soft golden green color you get. It doesn't come across as a color cast, just as gorgeous light.

Jonathan Ashton
09-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Absolutely first class beautifully presented. I think this is pretty well as good as it gets!
Only one suggestion/consideration perhaps consider recomposition to place the larva a little lower and to the right and maybe just a tad smaller in the frame.

Allen Sparks
09-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Wow Steve, another amazing image of these nymphs. Love the detail and composition with the nymph resting on the branch. Well done... --Allen

Ron Conlon
09-21-2014, 02:06 PM
This could be an inspiration for a movie like salt water life was said to be for Cameron's Avatar, a strange and beautiful world.

MiroslavMaric
09-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Great shot, you did so nice photo. The green BG and soft light make it so beautiful. The framing is ok for me. TFS.

Cheers, Miro

Steve Maxson
09-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks for your comments everyone! They are greatly appreciated! :S3: