PDA

View Full Version : American Coot

Joseph Przybyla
09-17-2014, 09:31 AM
For a long time I overlooked photographing this bird, always seeing it in large rafts on the water, difficult to isolate a single individual. While visiting Orlando Wetlands in Christmas, Florida I saw this one out of the water. In working up and studying the image I have moved to a better appreciation for this bird. I think the body shape is quite different, the colors pleasing from the ivory/white bill, the black head and slate grey body. The lobed, segmented feet quite different. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 55-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
1/400 F/8 ISO 200
Posts processed in Lightroom 5

Grace Scalzo
09-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Joe, Glad you gave this interesting bird some clicks. I like the perch also. Nicely exposed in light that was quite harsh. I would lighten the shadow on the perch somewhat. To my eye, trimming from the bottom (Lowering the bird and his perch in the frame) and adding the top would help. As the bird is quite centered from side to side, I wouldn't mind more room on the left (as viewed) either. Nice feather detail. I would brighten the area around his eye a touch.

Matthew Studebaker
09-17-2014, 09:44 AM
It's always fun to see this species' feet. Nice clean water background. The sun over your left shoulder gave the feathers some texture.

Stu Bowie
09-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi Joseph, excellent exposure on a difficult character - ( they look exactly the same over here ) and I quite like the pose he gave you, showing of the red eye nicely. Normally we would have less space on the RHS, but your thoughts of not cutting off the 'perch' was the right thing to do. I agree with Grace to add more to the left, and before reading her comment, I would have also suggested taking off the bottom, and adding to the top. I do like the colour of the water.

Joseph Przybyla
09-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Grace, Matthew, and Stuart, thank you for viewing, commenting and suggesting ways to improve my image. Here is what I came up with per your suggestions.

Stu Bowie
09-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Yep, the comp has turned out for the better. Well done.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Very nice repost!
Lovely huge feet and nice head turn. Composition is also good. TFS

Daniel Cadieux
09-18-2014, 11:45 AM
I also prefer the repost. I realize the blacks' tonalities are due to the light, but I would be tempted to selectively dark the plumage on the body. Very cool that you got this fella standing on that way-neat floating "perch"!

Tom van den Brandt
09-18-2014, 12:51 PM
I prefer the second. Love the pose and details. I think there is a slight blue tone in the blacks of the bird.

Cheers, Tom

Andreas Liedmann
09-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Hi Joseph , nice and simple image with a good pose of the rail.Good detail and sharpness.
RP slightly darkened the HL opened up shadows and reduced blues in the darker areas.
WDYT ?
TFS Andreas

Jim Crosswell
09-18-2014, 02:58 PM
I like the pose, details, big feet and composition in the repost. I like what Andreas has done with the image. Well done Joe.

Karl Egressy
09-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Nice image of a difficult subject. The repost on #5 is much better as far as composition goes.

Joseph Przybyla
09-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Thank you everyone for viewing, commenting and suggesting improvements, all appreciated very much.

Andreas, your editing has shown me what is possible. I like it, thank you for taking the time.