PDA

View Full Version : Canon 7Dm2 announced

BenBotha
09-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Specs: http://go.fredmiranda.com/?id=4699X646641&site=fredmiranda.com&xs=1&isjs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usa.canon.com%2Fcusa%2Fconsum er%2Fstandard_display%2Feos_7dmkii_feature%3FWT.mc _id%3DC126149&xguid=b357964a9a131ed22ea5e6091f223783&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fredmiranda.com%2Fforum%2Fto pic%2F1318290&pref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fredmiranda.com%2Fforum%2Fbo ard%2F2&xtz=-120

Daniel Cadieux
09-15-2014, 08:42 AM
I can't wait for the reviews, especially for IQ, but this looks like a winner. The AF looks very promising...plus AF at f/8 woo-hoo!

Please consider supporting BPN by using the logo link below to pre-order your 7D II. It will not cost you a penny more and will help us continue to bring you the latest info and quality critiques.

<iframe width="728" scrolling="no" height="90" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&size=728x90&mode=m&bucket_num=6118&link_target=y&sid=" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Marvin T. Smith
09-15-2014, 09:39 AM
I haven't found any estimated release date??
If I am not mistaken, I could autofocus with my 300 f2.8 and stacked 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters for 840mm?

Daniel Cadieux
09-15-2014, 10:42 AM
It only says November 2014.

That would give you f/8 so yes...but how fast with stacked TCs remains to be seen.

Seeing that I am relatively happy with my 7D I will wait it out a bit...but I'd love to have this in my hands now:S3: For the price that seems to be one awesome piece of equipment for action photography (on paper at least).

Mark Theriot
09-15-2014, 11:20 AM
I can't find the spec in print, has anyone actually seen f/8 focus listed officially (not on rumor sites)? That would make my 800 with a 1.4 VERY happy!

Daniel Cadieux
09-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Quoted from dpreview:
Additionally, the center point is capable of focusing with lenses (or lens/teleconverter combinations) as slow as f/8, as well as down to EV -3.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/6 (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/6)

Mark Theriot
09-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Outstanding! Thanks Daniel!

Mark

Diane Miller
09-15-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm also watching this with interest. The extra reach at wider apertures (say, the 600 without a TC) is very tempting. The decision for me is, is it better at AF then my 5D3, and is it better than cropping the 5D3 image. I suspect both are a yes. But then, do I want to wait for a 1DX Mk II? I probably would have bought one but as soon as I did a newer and better one would come out. (If anyone wants to front me $7000 to make that happen, I'll go for it! :w3)

Diane Miller
09-15-2014, 12:50 PM
I haven't found any estimated release date??
If I am not mistaken, I could autofocus with my 300 f2.8 and stacked 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters for 840mm?

I've tried this and was not happy with the IQ, apart from focus. You're probably not going to be able to shoot action with this combo, with any body, and for a still subject, manual focus is available to you now, eyesight permitting.

Marvin T. Smith
09-15-2014, 01:27 PM
I've tried this and was not happy with the IQ, apart from focus. You're probably not going to be able to shoot action with this combo, with any body, and for a still subject, manual focus is available to you now, eyesight permitting.
I have had no luck with manual focus with stacked tcs. I was hoping auto focus would save me! I realize that action is out, but eagles in a nest, distant shorebirds, etc. might be doable.
Marv

Diane Miller
09-15-2014, 01:47 PM
That's a hope I can't argue with, but there is a significant effect of image degradation just from the amount of air between you and a subject, especially in hot or humid areas. Yet another reason to get closer rather than shoot from a distance with magnification or cropping.

Joe Subolefsky
09-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Ordered one this morning and the order conformation says it will ship Nov 17th.

Already have a 5DIII that I love but wanted a second body with a little more reach and had been toying with getting a used MKIV, but with the new duel 6 processor and the focus tracking system like the 5D it was a no brainier.

Have an up coming trip to Africa next summer so to have the 7DII sitting there with my 500 on and the 5DIII with a 24-105 or 70-200 should cover things well I think. And both taking the same batteries/cards/chargers is a big plus to pack. :)

BenBotha
09-15-2014, 02:23 PM
According to this video from B&H, not the same sensor as the 70D.
Ben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stY7CC2GOE4

Robert Hardy
09-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Its the quiet continues shutter mode that interests me hope its above 5 fps .
Rob.

Simon Wantling
09-15-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm also very excited about the specs on the new 7d mkii. I currently use a 5dmkiii and was considering a 1dx but will hang on for the reviews on this. Seems like a cracking body on paper and the f8 autofocus on a crop sensor will be fantastic. I hope it's a lot better than the old model. I still have it but was never happy with the focusing on it.

Pao Dolina
09-15-2014, 05:12 PM
7D Mark III will be announced September 2019 before Photokina 2019. Bodies will ship November 2019.

5D Mark IV will be announced March 2015 or later. Bodies will ship weeks later.

Disappointments with the 7D Mark II:
- No WiFi (May be a reason why there's a SD slot for EyeFi)
- No 4K resolution video
- No CFast memory card slot for faster than UDMA7 reads/writes of 167MB/s.

http://www.photographyblog.com/images/sized/images/uploads_ee2/news_images/Extreme_PRO_CFast_515MBs_Front_128GB-470x400.JPG

Diane Miller
09-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Ordered one this morning and the order conformation says it will ship Nov 17th.

Already have a 5DIII that I love but wanted a second body with a little more reach and had been toying with getting a used MKIV, but with the new duel 6 processor and the focus tracking system like the 5D it was a no brainier.

Have an up coming trip to Africa next summer so to have the 7DII sitting there with my 500 on and the 5DIII with a 24-105 or 70-200 should cover things well I think. And both taking the same batteries/cards/chargers is a big plus to pack. :)

I saw on Canon Rumors a few days ago that the battery is different. Haven't checked it but the specs should be out by now.

Kester Clarke
09-15-2014, 07:24 PM
The battery is different, but it's still interchangeable with the old one.

I pre-ordered as well. Will be a good compliment to my 6D.

Joe Subolefsky
09-15-2014, 07:29 PM
The battery is physically the same with a larger capacity. The LP-E6N (http://www.slashgear.com/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-is-most-powerful-eos-around-15346244/#)is also compatible with the existing 5DIII LC-E6 battery charger. Canon says if you already have the LP-E6 you can use those too.

Doug Brown
09-15-2014, 09:20 PM
I sold my 7D several years ago, and have been using the 1Dx as my primary body and the 5D3 as a backup. I miss the 1.6 crop and the high pixel density of the 7 series. I've got the 7D Mark II preordered and will have a review completed shortly after I receive the body. I plan to take the 7D2 to the Bosque for my evaluation. I'm really looking forward to putting the 7D2 through its paces!

Diane Miller
09-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Put me down for the review! On paper it looks like the AF will be better than the 5D3, which is a disappointment for motion, for me. But I'm concerned what effect the addition of phase-detection pixels to the sensor will have on IQ for still shooting. How will noise compare at the ISOs we use -- 800 to 1600 are common for me.

Ian Cassell
09-15-2014, 11:22 PM
I ordered one this morning as well. It is due out Nov. 17 which is too bad as I get back from the Galapagos on Nov. 9 :(
The High ISO behavior and the f/8 AF clinched the deal for me. It will be nice to be able to put a 1.4x on my 400/5.6 for those times I don't want to lug my 500 around.

Doug, I hope you plan on doing a Bird Photography setup guide for this beast like you did for the 7D Mk I.

arash_hazeghi
09-16-2014, 02:24 AM
looks solid on paper, but the original 7D looked solid on paper too, it only turned out to be a disappointment in the field, I hope this time Canon is serious, at least in AF department. The sensor appears to be the same unit in the 70D, which will be the Achilles heel.

More interesting is the new 400DO. I wonder if it can perform acceptably with the series III TC's. I will be down for it if it does. Can't beat that weight for travel and when space is limited!

Pao Dolina
09-16-2014, 02:58 AM
for a body like this to be competitive, functions need to be optimized to maintain a slick and competitively priced package.
I think the absence of these options are acceptable for nature fotographers.

WIFI is great for journalists: they will buy a 1DX or a 5DIII
4K resolution is great for movie makers: they willl buy a 5DIII, a C100/300/500 or a 1DC
Fast memory is only usable if the camera can support the speed. Photogs I know dont like big cards that can fail and rather have a few 32GB cards.
And what purpose will this card serve: to store 6000+ images ?
I have to disagree on some of your points and for the price being asked for other brands give a bit more for the money. This is where market dominance of Canon allows it to have a slightly better margin than say Sony, Panasonic and other brands.

1DX & 5D3 do not have built-in WiFi neither do they have GPS built-in.

Bodies with only a SD card slots like the 6D & 70D have GPS & WiFi.

The 7D2 has built-in GPS but no WiFi?

4K resolution video is not present on the 5D3/C100/C300.

Nikon's D4S uses a memory card faster than CF so there is a need for memory that allows for quick writes/buffer clearing. Faster cards do not always equate to larger capacity cards. 1066x (155MB/s write) CF cards come on as little as 16GB.

Lower continuous shooting speeds can be attributed to how fast card can write the photos to memory. It appears that nature photogs are keenly interested with fps of the double digit nature.

BenBotha
09-16-2014, 03:10 AM
According to Canon, B&H video and other sources, a new sensor, not the same as 70D.
Ben

Neil Burton
09-16-2014, 04:41 AM
According to Canon, B&H video and other sources, a new sensor, not the same as 70D.
Ben

If they change the micro lenses of the sensor it can be called a new sensor ;) this seems to always be what Canon writes when releasing a new body with "new" sensor. The 7D's 18Mp sensor turned up in alot of other Canon bodies, it remains to be seen how good it is but I am in the "same sensor, different JPG processing " camp.

Joe Subolefsky
09-16-2014, 05:26 AM
looks solid on paper, but the original 7D looked solid on paper too, it only turned out to be a disappointment in the field, I hope this time Canon is serious, at least in AF department. The sensor appears to be the same unit in the 70D, which will be the Achilles heel.

It's not the same sensors in fact they claim them to be superior to those in the 1DX. And they seem serious about the AF as well.

"The new 7D Mark II features dual DIGIC 6 image processors, giving this cameras more processing performance that any other EOS camera, including the $7,000 1D X (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-1D-18-1MP-Digital-Camera/dp/B005Y3T1AI?tag=theimagingres-20) and its dual DIGIC 5+ setup! Thanks to the new 20.2-megapixel sensor and the new dual image processors, the default ISO range is now 100-16,000 and expandable up to 25,600 and 51,200.

Not only is the new AF system a significant upgrade over the 7D's 19-point system, the 65 cross-type AF points is superior to the 61-point, 41-cross-type AF system in the 5D Mark III and even the 1D X! (However, only the center AF point on the 7D Mk II is f/2.8 dual cross-type, whereas the 5D3 and 1D X have four dual cross-type AF points.) And, in case you're wondering, fans of teleconverters need not worry, as the 7D Mk II includes the ability to focus at f/8 with the center cross-type AF point.

For all your subject tracking needs, be it for football, soccer or birds-in-flight, the 7D Mark II features Canon's AI Servo AF III for the same AF performance as the flagship 1D X. So, not only does the 7D Mark II provide much better autofocus performance over the 7D, it also allows current 5D3 and 1D X owners who are using a 7D Mark II as a secondary or backup camera to have their AF systems "in-sync" so to speak, with the same settings and customizations so it's trivial to switch between the cameras."

Larry Handal
09-16-2014, 06:14 AM
The 7D was a favorite of mine. Its deficiencies were outweighed many times by its weight and reach advantages. Many times my 1D's got left at home because I didn't want a brick around my neck. Canon sold the heck out of them. Its the A1 of the autofocusing generation for those old-timers who remember it.
The 7DII has everything on my wish list on paper. It will be the #1 birding camera if it lives up to its promises.

Neil Burton
09-16-2014, 06:52 AM
It's not the same sensors in fact they claim them to be superior to those in the 1DX. And they seem serious about the AF as well.

"The new 7D Mark II features dual DIGIC 6 image processors, giving this cameras more processing performance that any other EOS camera, including the $7,000 1D X (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-1D-18-1MP-Digital-Camera/dp/B005Y3T1AI?tag=theimagingres-20) and its dual DIGIC 5+ setup! Thanks to the new 20.2-megapixel sensor and the new dual image processors, the default ISO range is now 100-16,000 and expandable up to 25,600 and 51,200.

No. Read it. They do not claim the sensor to be superior, they claim the processing performance (read: JPG output) to be greater than the 1Dx due to new processors. They day Canon releases a 1.6 crop sensor with more pixels than their flagship full frame AND make those RAW files come out cleaner and more detailed then I will buy 2 and be done with it.

Doug Brown
09-16-2014, 07:34 AM
First high ISO samples are now available at mattgranger.com. It's a preproduction model and the frames were shot on the showroom floor at Photokina, so I'll reserve judgement until I get a production body in my hands. But the preliminary results look really good! Here's a 100% crop of ISO 6400.

Doug Brown
09-16-2014, 07:37 AM
Here's ISO 1600.

Neil Burton
09-16-2014, 08:13 AM
His bandwidth is exceeded so cannot see. Obviously these are JPGs from the camera so I await a real review with RAWs. Looks OK so far though.

arash_hazeghi
09-16-2014, 09:13 AM

Not only is the new AF system a significant upgrade over the 7D's 19-point system, the 65 cross-type AF points is superior to the 61-point, 41-cross-type AF system in the 5D Mark III and even the 1D X! (However, only the center AF point on the 7D Mk II is f/2.8 dual cross-type, whereas the 5D3 and 1D X have four dual cross-type AF points.) And, in case you're wondering, fans of teleconverters need not worry, as the 7D Mk II includes the ability to focus at f/8 with the center cross-type AF point.

For all your subject tracking needs, be it for football, soccer or birds-in-flight, the 7D Mark II features Canon's AI Servo AF III for the same AF performance as the flagship 1D X. So, not only does the 7D Mark II provide much better autofocus performance over the 7D, it also allows current 5D3 and 1D X owners who are using a 7D Mark II as a secondary or backup camera to have their AF systems "in-sync" so to speak, with the same settings and customizations so it's trivial to switch between the cameras."

Hi Joe,

It has a lot advertising language, note it does not says the image sensor is not identical to 70D , from the specs they look identical. Ultimately the sensor is small, it cannot collect as much light as a full frame sensor. They can bump up noise reduction for JPEG files by incorporating more processing power, but it doesn't mean anything for RAW shooters. The Digic processing power doesn't have anything to do with the quality of RAW files.

Canon Also claim the 5D3 has identical AF system to the 1DX, but in practice the servo drive speed of the 1DX is much faster than the 5D3 when attached to a super telephoto lens....

I remember when the 7D came out, it had many more cross-type sensors than the 1D4 but in practice the camera performed poorly for flight.

It would be great if Canon would give you the performance of a $6700 body in a $1800 body, but they have never done that before despite making similar claims about the 7D and 1D MKIV back in 2008. Any ways time will tell. The 7D series has always been targeted at enthusiast and committed armatures, rather than a working professional.

I may get a unit and write a review if it were positive

Best

arash_hazeghi
09-16-2014, 09:26 AM
First high ISO samples are now available at mattgranger.com. It's a preproduction model and the frames were shot on the showroom floor at Photokina, so I'll reserve judgement until I get a production body in my hands. But the preliminary results look really good! Here's a 100% crop of ISO 6400.

There are these kind of showroom floor high ISO JPEG files with heavy NR and sharpening with any camera that comes out, and they all look good. I don't think they tell much for RAW shooters like us critical of IQ and details.

If you Google the 7D you'll find many such files from that camera too when it came out and similar discussions.

I would hold judgement until RAW files are available

Joe Subolefsky
09-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Like I said on the other thread I cant wait to get one of these with a bare 500 out in the marsh for my ducks in flight stuff. I don't expect it to match my 5DIII for noise but if it can go to 1600 iso without a noise issue I will be happy as heck!

I think the servo speed difference between the 1DX and 5DIII is a function of battery power and if you noticed they have ramped up the battery on the 7DII and that might very well be the reason. Being that they a physically the same it will be interesting to see if the new 7D battery will hop up the speed if used in the 5D? Plenty of fun stuff to play with when the camera gets here.

According to this the sensor is all new not a 70D copy with a different name.

" Chuck Westfall, At the heart of the camera is a newly designed 20.2-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor. While that's the same megapixel count as the sensor on the 70D, according to Canon, the 7D Mark II's sensor is in fact an all-new design, with improved clarity over the 70D's sensor."

arash_hazeghi
09-16-2014, 09:45 AM
7D Mark III will be announced September 2019 before Photokina 2019. Bodies will ship November 2019.

5D Mark IV will be announced March 2015 or later. Bodies will ship weeks later.

Disappointments with the 7D Mark II:

- No CFast memory card slot for faster than UDMA7 reads/writes of 167MB/s.

CFAST is not UDMA. It is SATA interface, it is not intended for still cameras.

arash_hazeghi
09-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Like I said on the other thread I cant wait to get one of these with a bare 500 out in the marsh for my ducks in flight stuff. I don't expect it to match my 5DIII for noise but if it can go to 1600 iso without a noise issue I will be happy as heck!

I think the servo speed difference between the 1DX and 5DIII is a function of battery power and if you noticed they have ramped up the battery on the 7DII and that might very well be the reason. Being that they a physically the same it will be interesting to see if the new 7D battery will hop up the speed if used in the 5D? Plenty of fun stuff to play with when the camera gets here.

According to this the sensor is all new not a 70D copy with a different name.

" Chuck Westfall, At the heart of the camera is a newly designed 20.2-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor. While that's the same megapixel count as the sensor on the 70D, according to Canon, the 7D Mark II's sensor is in fact an all-new design, with improved clarity over the 70D's sensor."

One of the factors that affects servo drive speed is the battery voltage. While the battery appears slightly different it is still 7.2V compared to 1D series that is 11.1V.

Anyways, I will hold judgement until I use one in the field in my own hands. We'll see how it performs. I will share my findings here at that point.

Joe Subolefsky
09-16-2014, 11:04 AM
All these comparisons with the old 7D,70D,5DIII and 1DX are fine but I could really see it as being the camera to replace a lot of 5 year old 1D MKIV's of those needing the extra reach of a crop body if its lives up to it's specs.

Pao Dolina
09-16-2014, 01:13 PM
CFAST is not UDMA. It is SATA interface, it is not intended for still cameras.
I never said CFast is or uses UDMA 7. What I did say was CFast is faster than UDMA 7's technical limit of 167MB/s read/writes. CFast tops off at 600MB/s.

Now, does CFast have an application for still imaging? The answer is a big "yes". Why? Because Phase One committed to the standard in 2013. AFAIK they only do stills.

On the other hand since 2008 still SLRs can already record video. So with Phase One, Canon also committed to CFast. The video quality by a large part depends on how fast the onboard memory card can write said video. CF cards cannot handle the write speeds needed by uncompressed video whether they be 1080p or 4K resolution video. As a work around uncompressed video is recorded to a fast external storage through the camera's HDMI port.

You're probably gonna say "this isn't relevant to a Canon/Nikon still photog" it still is, moving forward when burst/continuous shooting speeds go beyond 12fps, megapixels increases (think 36MP or more) and dynamic range expands to beyond what we today consider as "top of the line". CF cards' limit of 167MB/s will choke. SDXC will give limited breathing room with UHS-II's limit of 312MB/s. CFast's 600MB/s spec gives a lot of leeway for even 8K resolution video.

CFast appearance on the future 1D, 5D & 7D should be tied to the inclusion of 4K resolution video.

Doug Brown
09-17-2014, 11:53 AM
All these comparisons with the old 7D,70D,5DIII and 1DX are fine but I could really see it as being the camera to replace a lot of 5 year old 1D MKIV's of those needing the extra reach of a crop body if its lives up to it's specs.

Agreed. I'm probably going to sell my Mark IV if the 7D lives up to my expectations.

arash_hazeghi
10-02-2014, 12:23 AM
There are some RAW samples posted here http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-7d-mark-ii/canon-7d-mark-iiA7.HTM

You can convert them with the latest DPP 3.14 available on Canon website (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x#DriversAndSoftware) (but not DPP 4), Studio high ISO shots look as expected ~2 stops worse than the 1DX, consistent with sensor size difference. Strangely red fabric detail seems lacking and somewhat blurred at high ISOs. Of course this is well-lit studio condition so real world field performance for avian subject with feather details remains to be seen. Low ISO detail might be OK, especially for folks who don't have long lenses, and most important factor is AF which also remains to be seen at the field with avian subjects.

ISO 1600, 1DX left, 7D2 right. ISO 1600. The crops have been compressed for posting.

Thus far no RAW samples form the new 400 DO :(

Joe Subolefsky
10-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Very impressive for an APSC but personally I'm not going to go all in and bet the house on images from any pre-production body. I'll hold judgment until we get the real bodies in our hands and then see how it stacks up against the other crop bodies= 7D and the 1D MKVI out in the field.

David Stephens
10-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Wow. That red flowered fabric really stresses the 7D2. It'll be interesting to see real world shots with production cameras, but now I'm getting pessimistic.

P-A. Fortin
10-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Can't expect to get 1DX quality for 25% of the price...