PDA

View Full Version : Theme Mara Cub

Morkel Erasmus
09-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Next week this time I will be able to check up on this cutie and his siblings in the Mara Triangle when I host my Great Migration photo safari for this year...:t3
Late afternoon spent with the whole creche of 9 cubs, cropped to exclude other lion parts bottom and LHS and dead space on RHS which didn't fit with the gaze/expression here. Ended up square, which is not everyone's taste but it's something I've come to enjoy more and more lately (I blame Instagram! :bg3:)...

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 | 1/800 SS | ISO-900

Andre Pretorius
09-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Love the expression Morkel, but may I suggest a tighter crop from underneath to exclude the other rump?

Detail and exposure spot-on.

Enjoy the Mara, on my bucket list. In the Holy land with Andreas in less than a month!:t3

Andreas Liedmann
09-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Hi Morkel very nice processed as usual , very nice fine detail and sharpness :bg3:.
I am fine with the crop and i love those eyes .
Asking curious , was the scene that much on the yellow side ?

TFS Andreas

Neil Burton
09-15-2014, 03:32 AM
A tad warm maybe? Adorable fellow, hope you get many more of him.

Morkel Erasmus
09-15-2014, 06:02 AM
Thanks folks. Andreas/Neil - this was one of the rare moments of golden light bursting through heavy cloud cover during that week - as you know last light is accentuated by reflecting off the clouds above in these conditions. I feel the colour temperature I presented here accurately portrays the conditions of the afternoon. :w3

Carl Walker
09-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Lovely portrait Morkel - killer eyes. Crop is fine for me. Back to back safaris almost - well I hope you get some good stuff when you up there:S3:

Andreas Liedmann
09-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Morkel you have been there , so you know how the colors have been , i am ok if you say so .

Gabriela Plesea
09-15-2014, 01:58 PM
A cutie he is indeed and it feels like I could stretch out my hand and touch him...So lovely, that look on his face. You captured something truly special.

To me this cub seems about to get up and go play with his mates. Eyes still innocent. But not for long...

Love it Morkel, the colours are fantastic and those greens in the BG make the subject stand out, with that golden brown fur. I thought of various other crops but came to conclusion that your choice works best. This is really beautiful and I just love the expression there from the cub, I hope you bring more images of these lions when you return from your safari!

I enjoyed viewing very much, delightful, thank you Morkel for this image.

Warmest regards,

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Perfect shot, Morkel - other than for the bum(mer) in the bottom LHC, but we can't always have it all... The eyes are as clear as can be and the expression is 'pure innocent cub'. Nice one!

Steve Kaluski
09-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Hi Morkel, can't help feel I want to move to the right and then be able to get the head, head on with the front legs extended and in full sight, perhaps this time round? I can see where Andreas is coming from, but you were there. With the slight turn of that left eye he is keeping an eye on you. Always hard to avoid others creeping in when they are in close together so the crop works although perhaps a little off the LHS? Did well on the highlights LHS.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Hi Morkel - A definite cute factor here. Square crop works and you handled the side lighting well. I agree with Steve that if possible it might have been better to move to the right in the field but sometimes we just cannot. Hopefully, you'll find the pride again this trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
09-18-2014, 04:54 AM
Thanks for your comments and suggestions, folks. I was shooting from the "worst" position here as I let my clients shoot from the right of my position for the cleaner angle. :e3