PDA

View Full Version : Etosha Triangle

Andreas Liedmann
09-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Hi all going along the color less way with this slightly toned Giraffe frame.
I am a bit 50/50 about this because the OOF Giraffe is either too sharp or not enough :eek3:.

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 70 -200 + 1,4 x TC at 225 mm
HH

F 8 ; Iso 250 ; 1/ 320 sec

Processed with DPP and PS CC ; conversion with MacPhun Tonality Pro and a slight warming filter added in PS; cropped for comp slightly.

Thanks for watching and leaving a comment to my previous post

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
09-13-2014, 03:21 PM
I like the triangle image design and the high key conversion, Andreas - strong framing and comp!
I would go a tad darker in the blacks and midtones on the giraffes, perhaps??

Gregor Bergquist
09-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Hi Andreas

I really like the composition on this. It is great. And because the strong composition is what this picture is about, at least I take a step back to look at it. And then sharpness of the second giraffe is not a factor for me.
I´m not a fan of the (pinkish?) warm filter, though. I agree with Morkels suggestion about going a tad darker in the blacks and mid tones.

TFS / Gregor

Mark Needham
09-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Lovely eye contact and composition here, Andreas. :cheers: I agree that pushing the blacks and midtones might help. I would also like to see a version without the vignette, as I find it a bit distracting to my eye (the giraffes naturally pull my eye to the center anyway).

Don Railton
09-14-2014, 03:03 AM
Hi Andreas,

I am going to echo all that's been said above.. I especially love the composition, and also would prefer this to be more black and more white than the tones shown.. did I say I like the composition..?

DON

Andreas Liedmann
09-14-2014, 04:33 AM
Thanks guys for your comments , much appreciated .
Mark - no vignette added , natural lens vignetting with that combo i used . Maybe pushed while processing .Tried in post with a plain BKG , but left it as shot .
Also had darker blacks and mid tones , decided against it .
So i leave this as is , but thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers Andreas

hennieloots
09-14-2014, 01:43 PM
I think the composition is great! The OOF animal is not distracting to me. The triangle idea works very well, I wonder how it would work in a square frame?
TFS
Hennie

Gabriela Plesea
09-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Dear Andreas,

I was busy writing my comments here last night and was just about to finish when the power went, only to return at about 10 am this morning...So here I am again...I do like this very much, was at first tempted to say you should go darker but then took a little time to think why you didn't. When I noticed all that lovely detail on the giraffes I understood. I like the soft BG and tonality overall, the comp is great and I do not mind the second giraffe being a tad softer (if otherwise it would look unnatural, since the two subjects are not in the same focal plane). I also like the framing and presentation, and I must say you continue to amaze me with your versatility and thinking behind processing, great work Andreas!

Kind regards,

Andre Pretorius
09-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Hi Andreas

The composition and decision to go colourless makes this image work.
Timing was perfect.
The vignetting is a problem to me, it detracts from a clean image, might not be a factor in a busy or dark BG.

Andreas Liedmann
09-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks Hennie , Gabriela and Andre for your kind comments, much appreciated.
Hennie - i do not think the square will work , at least not with the same impact.

Andre - i was thinking about reducing the natural vignetting , but was looking not that good to my eyes so i left it in.:t3, But thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
09-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi Andreas - I too like the image design but would remove the natural vignette. I'm not a fan of vignettes in general but definitely not with high key bgs.

TFS,
Rachel