PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Arrakis, the Dune planet

Kerry Perkins
09-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Those of you who have read Frank Herbert's "Dune" will know that the planet was mostly a vast desert, with winds blowing sand storms across the expanse. Water was a scarce and precious substance, having mystical and religious properties as well as giving life. So, I used this blur of some ocean waves to create a vision of the planet Arrakis, the dune world. I guess that would qualify as irony. :c3:

Dennis Bishop
09-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Definitely ironic. I've not read Dune, but you did a great job depicting what you described. Even without the Dune reference, this would be very striking, but the story adds something special. Very nicely done. The lighter browns at the bottom and the darker ones farther up give a great sense of depth.

Kerry Perkins
09-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Thank you Dennis!

Sorry, forgot to mention that I used a Nik CEP Bi-Color filter.

Paul Lagasi
09-13-2014, 09:45 AM
I can almost see Paul Atreides, riding a giant worm somewhere in this image. Loved those books (hated the movie). Nice work

Jackie Schuknecht
09-13-2014, 05:12 PM
I love this Kerry, I imagine myself being on that planet. Your colour choices are wonderful, and it could be wind or water. I wonder about a slight gradient or darkening of the top to bring the viewer into the frame more. Very imaginative.

Cheryl Slechta
09-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Hi, Kerry, I can see the makers churning up the sand. It definitely looks like what I thought Arrakis would look like. I came to Dune only recently when it was recommended by a friend but I loved it:S3:

Anita Bower
09-15-2014, 05:06 AM
Sorry I missed this one earlier. Very nice. I love the simplicity of shape, texture, color. Well done. Congratulations.

Arthur Morris
09-16-2014, 08:25 PM
I like the image and the story. Where did the YELLOW come from?

I think that taking half of the white strip off the top would strengthen the image.

Kerry Perkins
09-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks all! Artie, the yellow is from the lower part of the bi-color filter, and my attempt to put a sand-like color into the image.