PDA

View Full Version : Southern hawker

Jonathan Ashton
09-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Hand held, Canon 1DX Canon 100-400 L & extension tube Av mode ISO 5000 1/500sec f8
This is the same dragonfly as posted previously, it occurred to me that by changing height and angle I could get a reflection.
As I mentioned previously she stubbornly laid eggs on a log that was not photogenic as the background was herbaceous material immediately behind the log. After leaving her for about 10 min laying eggs I introduced another log in a more suitable position for me to get a decent shot. I then got a long bamboo garden cane and gently introduced it under her underside - she grabbed it and I transfered her to the other log - she immediately dismounted the bamboo and began ovipositing once again - and voila I got my shot and we were both happy!:w3
All C&C welcome.

Diane Miller
09-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Amazing! I could see a vertical with reflections like this!

Jonathan Ashton
09-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks Diane - yes I have a vertical too. I think I should come clean on this image - I had some help from Barney - he gave me some tips on exposure, here we are discussing matters - he was very discrete:bg3:.

Diane Miller
09-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Oh -- how cute!! He is obviously very discrete! Bet he could also be useful to herd the dragonflies and send them your way. Or maybe that's more for a bird dog.