PDA

View Full Version : Pileated Woodpecker- juvie female

gail bisson
09-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Nothing fancy with this image but I like the eye level view and the slightly raised wings.
Canon 1DX
F 600mm and 2 x III. Shot as a vertical from the dining room window of our condo in Florida at 8:00AM last May.
SS 1/400 f 8.0 ISO 400
Not much PP: Small crop, NR to BG, levels, DE to bird, burned a bright area to the left of woodpeckers' head and USM to JPEG
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Geoffrey Montagu
09-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Beautiful bird and image, Gail. Have yet to see one this close. She's a beauty and I too like the wings up, and how well you managed the blacks and whites. Like as posted, but might darken the tree a tad.

Geoffrey

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Nice WP Gail.
Good to see the semi raised wing and eye contact. I would boost the color temperature a tad as it looks a bit cool.

Karl Egressy
09-11-2014, 07:33 PM
It is always great to find one of these birds. Love the pose, with the raised wings. Nice to see the foot.

Marina Scarr
09-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Maybe not fancy but the image is quite pleasing. I like the BG very much and the bird really pops against it. It's fun to see her gripping the tree with her talons and pressing her tail against the trunk as though she is afraid to fall.

David Salem
09-12-2014, 12:34 AM
What a cool looking WP Gail. The exposure control and feather detail in the blacks looks great and I like the clinging pose with the raised wings. A nice looking natural BG and a detailed perch set this one off nicely.

Andreas Liedmann
09-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Hi Gail , nice frame well exposed in blacks and whites . Like the crop and the subject. I might try to burn the tree to give it more depth and not drawing my eye that much because of the lightness in it.

Nice work , TFS Andreas

Tom van den Brandt
09-12-2014, 03:23 PM
I like the image a lot. The pose and the talons gripping the tree. Good BG and exposure too.

Cheers, Tom

Stu Bowie
09-14-2014, 12:40 AM
Hi Gail, I would take this any day. Really great work on bringing out the blacks on this guy - detail shows up nicely, as does the detail on the tree trunk. Comp works well too.

Ishmeet Sahni
09-14-2014, 11:00 AM
A great image, nice detail. I agree with Geoffery, darking the tree trunk would bring out more detail in it and add more emphasis to the bird.

Jim Crosswell
09-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I like the tree hugging pose, exposure, raised wings, BG and composition. Well done Gail.