PDA

View Full Version : Dominance or Love?

Andre Pretorius
09-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Two brothers at Zuka captured with Carl.

The morning/afternoon was amazing, side light coming through dappled clouds.

Trying to shoot behind you with a constant pain in the side, these musketeers kept me entertained all the time!

Techs:
D3S with 70-200@ 98mm
1/1000 @ f6,3
ISO 4000

Know there there some overcooked highlights in "beard" and cheek, decided not to bring them down to emphasise angle of incoming light.

C&C welcome...

Rachel Hollander
09-11-2014, 11:31 PM
Hi Andre - I think the standing one has a caught in the act look to him. Interesting interaction and pose. Colors and tones look good. The blown highlights to me are not a major distraction with this image due to their placement, so I too can live with it as is.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
09-12-2014, 12:04 AM
I like the poses here Andre, as well as the dappled light.
It feels a tad "choked" up with contrast to me? As if it needs ligthened midtones?

Andreas Liedmann
09-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Hi Andre , like the situation you captured and the one standing makes this image working and different to others.
I like the overall colors and the tones in general , i am fine with the HL and the MT , but feel the blacks and 3/4 does look a bit choked up .
Nice comp , too.

TFS Andreas

Andre Pretorius
09-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Tried a RP. Worked from TIFF, not from the RAW.

The image seems to be "coarse", think this is because of high ISO or previous processing?
Tried TK masking with curves, was not impressed.
Used colour balance layer with lighter colour as blending mode, did a lumo layer on the bottom brother (the action I wrote Lightens).
Tried a different sharpening method for web as suggested by a good friend (my first try, WDYT?)
Andreas, how does one isolate the 3/4 tones? That was my thinking behind using TK...

Andreas Liedmann
09-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Hi Andre , honestly for me the biggest issue are the choked blacks , they are too solid (most obvious in tip of the tail /face of the lying lion and the eyes of the standing one) .The colors are looking better in OP to me , too yellow compared to OP.As colors are subjective .

Actually it is easy with TK , do you have the latest panel ?

RP with 3 layers set to screen blend mode each at 20 % opacity , each selected slightly different tones .Will show you in 3 weeks time in depth tutorial , personally my friend

Cheers Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
09-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Here is the latest TK panel available

Andre Pretorius
09-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Panels? Did not even know about them?:Whoa!:

Looking forward to see you!

Mike Poole
09-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Great interaction shot. Not my place to comment on the individual nuances of the PP, but I love the poses and particularly the expression on the dominant cat

Andre Pretorius
09-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Thank you Mike, don't you just love them?!:bg3:

Carl Walker
09-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Andre good attempt on the repost. I quite like the colours on both. Andreas has opened up those choked areas a bit. Still a classic pose and behaviour observed. WD bud

Anette Mossbacher
09-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Hi Andre,

I think the lion standing just wanted to give his mate a bit shadow!! :t3
Was also thinking that the blacks are a bit to dark, but thought like Morkel the Mid-Ts. THe panel Andreas posted, grab it, on the bottom you find the website. There are also video tutorials, but when Andreas comes over he explains it, no need for videos :bg3:
It helps a lot and I use it a lot as well. The new panel is amazing and such a time saver, love it.

Enjoy your weekend

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
09-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Never even knew about the panel!! Is is available if you have purchased his action set previously?? Or do I need to re-purchase? (off topic, sorry)

Andreas Liedmann
09-14-2014, 03:11 PM
repurchase for a small $ amount , think it was 10 $, if you do not have the latest version ............... endless options with all the available masks . check it out