PDA

View Full Version : Theme Elephant

Rachel Hollander
09-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Taken in the late afternoon in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa. I like the way the light hit the ele's eye.

Canon 5D3
300 II
1/800
f7.1
ISO 1600
Beanbag from safari vehicle, cropped for comp, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective burning and dodging, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Carl Walker
09-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Hi Rachel - Great stuff - I think you have processed this well here. It is so hard to get e decent view of the eye and you have done well here. I really enjoy the framing here too. The textures stand out quite well as does the definition of the creases. WD

Anette Mossbacher
09-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Hi Rachel,

as usual all sits… nearly, well for me I would crop a tad from the LHS, just me! Details and all is great, just wonder where the AF point was, since right after the eye it starts to get slightly blurry!
Or shouldn't I have mentioned that :w3

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Andreas Liedmann
09-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Hi Rachel well processed as expected with nice color and tone.For me the RHS is kind of not adding much so i would loose it .

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
09-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Love this, my eye is drawn to the ellie's eye, sublime detail and textures, great colours and warmth.

I am 50/50 on taking off the RHS, still feel that the dark side on the right adds to the image...I like "light and shade" effect, in this particular case it creates an awareness of the component parts of the LHS and its particularities (wrinkles on the skin, eye, trunk).

Would not change a thing, Rachel. Just me:w3

Warmest regards,

Morkel Erasmus
09-12-2014, 02:44 AM
Love the colour in that eye, Rachel. To me, the eye looking somewhat down (granted as they usually do) my eye tends to look for more space below. I get that you were including the forehead textures for a reason...do you have any alternate crops/comps?

Andre Pretorius
09-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Hi Rachel

Love the textures!
The first thing I noticed was the eye looking down; a docile animal...
Fine with the DOF, want attention to the right eye.
Agree with Morkel- he/she( can't see forehead,can't sex) is looking down- less space on top and more at bottom, or just tighter crop from top.

Just love that eye!

Neil Burton
09-15-2014, 03:27 AM
I am in the "Eye should be top left" somewhere on the third would be best, camp. Dont mind the RHS adding some contrast but would like more of it. Great details and colours though, I find ellies are difficult to do close-ups of.

Rachel Hollander
09-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Sorry for the late reply but I was away for the weekend. Thanks all for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Rachel