PDA

View Full Version : Crimson-collared Tanager (Costa Rica)

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Itīs been some time since I donīt post here.
This is a common but very skittish bird in Costa Rica and donīt like to come to feeders very much so when the chances are high one get lucky, just like in this opportunity.

Mark IV
300f/4@f/4
ISO640
Tripod
1/320

Yes I know, the head angle is not optimal but this is nature photography. :t3

Carl Walker
09-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Juan you have some beautiful birds over there. The head angle does not bother me and the detail is great but the reds seem a little saturated on my monitor. Lets see how others view it. I love the bg and forest feel of the image. Looks like your focus may have been on the flank/wing area. TFS

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Juan you have some beautiful birds over there. The head angle does not bother me and the detail is great but the reds seem a little saturated on my monitor. Lets see how others view it. I love the bg and forest feel of the image. Looks like your focus may have been on the flank/wing area. TFS

Hello Carl.
The reds might be a tad over sat. but not in the RAW file, is the jpeg that turns things messy especially with the reds though they are very close to the real thing. Thanks for looking. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Andreas Liedmann
09-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Hi Juan very nice colorful frame , with a bird in a beautiful setting.I am fine with the HA , but agree about the reds are too saturated and you lost detail in there , due to a blown red channel . Green channel has all the details in the red area.I might open up the shadow areas for more detail.

Nice one , TFS Andreas

Jim Crosswell
09-11-2014, 01:14 PM
I like the perch, pose, BG, setting and rain forest feel. I have only encountered this Tanager twice. They are a hard one to expose. Well done Juan!

Tom van den Brandt
09-11-2014, 01:15 PM
This is such a pretty bird. Nice setting and BG. Love the eye:S3:

Tom

gail bisson
09-11-2014, 03:30 PM
I think this is a stunning bird.
I do wish for a bit more DOF for the head.
I am ok with the HA as well.
I like the perch but find that my eye gets pulled down to the 3 thin branches below the main perch.
This bird looks like an exposure nightmare so I think you have done well!
Gail

Karl Egressy
09-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Love the pose, colors and the perch. Well done.

Dvir Barkay
09-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Great one Juan, love the colors and the bird itself. I also love the forest setup, everything feels very lush and real. Yes more DOF would be better and a better head angle, but personally I don't care.

Diane Miller
09-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Going to a JPEG shouldn't change the colors noticeably at all. Are you Converting to sRGB or Assigning? The latter will make the colors wrong.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Going to a JPEG shouldn't change the colors noticeably at all. Are you Converting to sRGB or Assigning? The latter will make the colors wrong.
Diane, I save the image in PS using the ''save for web'' option, I hope this is a good one. :w3
Any help is most welcome.

Diane Miller
09-13-2014, 08:02 PM
That should be fine, and shouldn't cause any color change. What is your PS working space, and are you checking Convert to sRGB? Ignore the Preview window -- just open the result back in PS (either Convert to the Working Space if it isn't sRGB or Use the Embedded Profile) and compare it to your original. They should be the same. visually, but the histogram will only be correct if you Convert to the Working Space.)

Or is the color change when you compare how it looks in your browser vs PS? That would be the browser's fault. There is information about that in the Educational Resources forum.)

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all your help Diane.
I use RGB and convert to 8bit channel...I believe I better show you how the save for web window looks like. Please let me know if you find something out of place!

JuanK

Diane Miller
09-13-2014, 09:19 PM
JPEGs are only 8 bit so that conversion is automatic. You can use Save for Web on a layered 16 bit file -- don't do anything to it first -- Save for Web knows what to do and how. You don't want to go to 8bit before you flatten a layered file.

Best to work in PS in 16 bits for smoother gradients. Your window looks good -- the important things are to check Convert to sGB and Embed profile. The Quality window next to Image Size lets you change the sharpening, but won't affect color.

I'm still not clear on what you are comparing when you say the colors change when you make a JPEG for the web. I will bet you are comparing the look in a web browser to that in PS. If they are different, the fault is with the browser.

When you say you work in RGB, there are two color gamuts of RGB for photo work -- sRGB and Adobe RGB. (And Pro Photo for advanced use.) The difference can be important for colors, and especially important is how you "color manage" your workflow. If you're not clear on this, check out my tutorials in Educational Resources.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-13-2014, 10:05 PM
JPEGs are only 8 bit so that conversion is automatic. You can use Save for Web on a layered 16 bit file -- don't do anything to it first -- Save for Web knows what to do and how. You don't want to go to 8bit before you flatten a layered file.

Best to work in PS in 16 bits for smoother gradients. Your window looks good -- the important things are to check Convert to sGB and Embed profile. The Quality window next to Image Size lets you change the sharpening, but won't affect color.

I'm still not clear on what you are comparing when you say the colors change when you make a JPEG for the web. I will bet you are comparing the look in a web browser to that in PS. If they are different, the fault is with the browser.

When you say you work in RGB, there are two color gamuts of RGB for photo work -- sRGB and Adobe RGB. (And Pro Photo for advanced use.) The difference can be important for colors, and especially important is how you "color manage" your workflow. If you're not clear on this, check out my tutorials in Educational Resources.

Many thanks again Diane for taking the time to help me. I work in Adobe RGB, used to work in Pro Photo but not anymore. I am not seeing any colour shifting but some time ago I did. The RGB looks just like the sRGB small jpeg file and I tried very hard to show the bird the way it looks in the real world, the reds are quite dark and the blacks are black.
I will spend a good time checking your PS tutorials indeed. :bg3:

Diane Miller
09-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Sorry for all the words, maybe I misunderstood when you said "The reds might be a tad over sat. but not in the RAW file, is the jpeg that turns things messy especially with the reds." All this color stuff is enough to dive anyone nuts.

Anyway -- it's a beautiful bird! Wish i had such nice ones where I live!