PDA

View Full Version : Theme Ever Alert Cheetah Mom

Carl Walker
09-10-2014, 03:14 PM
A series of images taken around an almost dry pan around last Xmas. It was about 17.00pm and here the sun is still quite bright mid summer. Thinking about the theme here I chose to work on this image hoping the detail would hold with a largish crop. I also toiled with trying to frame it right. I have another full frame option, that I quite like but it includes an oof cub on the rhs of the frame. I might post it as well depending on your thoughts re this. Squarish frame not really my favourite frame type.

There is a loss of dof on the neck which surprises me as it was at F9.
C&C welcome - thanks

1d Mk iv - 300mm f2,8 L IS USM Mk II + 2 x extender Mk III

ISO 640 - F9 - 1/1600 sec

ACR basics
PS CC14 - levels, curves, sat layer,removed a number of flies flying around her.

Gabriela Plesea
09-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Carl? I cannot believe you had this in your folders for so long and only posting it now! A beauty, well exposed, sharp as it can be, stunning natural colours and the detail is amazing! This is calling for a print, great IQ and I really love everything about it - congratulations!

Nite nite Carl, this was a lovely surprise, I guess we were posting at about the same time, me off to the feathers now...

Andreas Liedmann
09-11-2014, 01:00 AM
Hi Carl very well done :5.
Nice colors and tones .Contrast works well with loads of detail and the creamy BKG on top. Nice work.
Think one of your best you posted so far.

TFS Andreas

PS : Gabriela look at the white sharpening halos of this image :S3:.

Andre Pretorius
09-11-2014, 01:48 AM
Love this Carl!
Very,very crisp and comp works for me.

Must have been close to have little DOF with F9, well planned and executed!

Stunner..

Rachel Hollander
09-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Hi Carl - Another great image you've been holding back from us! Excellent detail and colors and tones look spot on. Well processed. Btw you said it was a large crop, how much of a crop is it?

TFS,
Rachel

Carl Walker
09-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks Gabriela, Andre, Andreas and Rachel for kind words and positive comments.
Andreas be good to understand what you mean by the white sharpening halos you are referring to with G.

Rachel I guess it is not that much of a crop really 30% - will post it as am keen to know what you think of the oof cub frame

Carl Walker
09-11-2014, 12:14 PM
This is the ff and one I was considering posting but couldn't decide whether oof cub was a distraction. WDYT
PP work not complete yet
Thanks

Anette Mossbacher
09-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Hi Carl,

love the details and look of the Cheetah very much. I don't mind of your 30% crop at all :w3
I would have cropped out the little one probably as well.

Have a great evening

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
09-12-2014, 03:22 AM
Lovely details here Carl. My first impression on opening the thread was that the OP felt VERY tight (perhaps just a taste thing, eh). I really like your full frame version as I am a fan of having identifiable animals in the BG. Might just take that one and crop a sliver off the bottom and LHS as viewed? Sharpening in the repost also looks better as the OP was a bit too crunchy for me...

Gabriela Plesea
09-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Dearest Carl,

I am 100% with Morkel here in terms of crop - I love the presence of the cub in the second image, gives context and a lovely 3D feel to the entire frame, well done Carl!!!:5

Have a great evening,

Carl Walker
09-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks Anette, Morkel and Gabriela. :cheers:

Steve Kaluski
09-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Hi Carl, the image in pane 7 is outstanding, cracking work both in terms of capture & PP. :cheers: :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Carl - Sorry, I was away and didn't realize you had posted the full frame version. I too prefer the full frame version. It's something a bit different and I don't mind the oof cub at all. Truly, both versions work and it is down to what you prefer.

Cheers,
Rachel

Carl Walker
09-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks Steve and Rachel. I just need to be more consistent but I guess it is easier when it comes right in the field:t3