PDA

View Full Version : Wave Action on the Monterey Peninsula

Ken Kovak
05-22-2008, 06:34 PM
From our trip last week to the San Francisco area as we drove south along the coast.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon100-400 IS @ 220
f8.0 1/800sec
-2/3 stop

The 6+ frames per second of the 40D really helped here. Some selective PS work on the far rock group to minimize the haze from the weather and the spray.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Ken

Robert Amoruso
05-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Ken,

I ran a few rounds of USM on it and that sharpened it up nicely as it looks a bit soft. I am a slow shutter speed kind of guy with ocean images, but here with great wave action, stopping the motion is the AOK. But I would do it both ways in this case - that's a personal choice but one you might consider in the future if you didn't do that already. In any event, neutral density filters are a big plus when the light is bright to get that slow shutter speed.

Like the breaking wave, like how you positioned yourself so that the FG rock was not intersecting the BG rock. Like the diagonal in the FG rocks. You left a touch of the atmospheric haze which I think is good because depicting atmosphere in an image by going from warmer tones in the FG to cooler tones in the BG or the introduction of haze imparts depth in the image.

Overall, nicely composed.

Harold Davis
05-23-2008, 11:58 AM
i've looked at this picture about 6 or 8 times now!! i have to agree with robert's suggestion about running some sharpening on it. think that would fix it up nicely!! love the compo. very powerful i would love to see this in a huge print. bet it would be fantastic.

Roman Kurywczak
05-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Ken,
You did do very nicely with the separation of the rocks. You didn't mention what ISO you used.......but if you could go higher..........I would have put it into an even higher speed! I love long shutter speeds as does Robert but the power of the water hitting the rocks is what this image is all about. Maybe a hair less on the exposure.............to increase a bit of detail in the water....or as Robert and Harold suggested.........the extra sharpening will do the trick! Nicely done overall!

Ed Vatza
05-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi Ken,

Nice composition. Nice capture. You did a good job capturing the "violence" of the surf along that part of the coast which I think would be lost a bit with a slower shutter speed.

And I am very jealous. With humble apologies to the large Florida contingent here, the Central California Coast along with the coast of Maine are my two favorite places in the U.S. We spent a week in Monterey last July and plan to return in Aug-Sep 2009.

Van Hilliard
05-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Wonderful depiction of the awesome power of the ocean. The composition is excellent, with the already-noted separation of fore and mid-ground rocks providing key and beautiful information on depth. Robert's observations are excellent. You've done a great job here.

Ken Kovak
05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the very kind comments, much appreciated.

I did run this through PK Sharpener before posting. I was wondering for those who recommended USM if you could tell me your settings so I can duplicate what you tried and thought looked better. I have a particular issue with being concerned that I sometimes oversharpen so that, many times, I don't sharpen enough.

Thanks
Ken