PDA

View Full Version : Georgian Bay Fisheye

Andrew McLachlan
09-08-2014, 08:30 PM
During my last stay at the cottage I drove into the town of Parry Sound, Ontario to check out a trail I had recently found out about. The trail runs along the shores of Georgian Bay on Lake Huron. The rugged shoreline of Georgian Bay is a photographer's paradise with tons of photographic possibilities. For this scene I chose to use my fisheye lens as I teetered inches from the water's edge to take in this interesting section of granite. Keeping my toes out of the comp was the biggest challenge :S3:

I processed this image using the luminosity masks in the new TK Action Panel from Tony Kuyper.

Nikon D800
Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX DG Fisheye Lens
ISO 200
f16 @ 1/100 sec
Handheld
Virtual Horizon

Look forward to comments.

Don Railton
09-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Hi Andrew

Love those rocks.. they rock! but seriously, the dark rock with the white lines is wonderful against the orange/black granite, and I think they would look wonderful with the fish eye distortions. just backs up what you are saying about photographic possibilities... I think I would have forgotten about including the sky and forest and gone in tighter (if it were possible) on just the rocks... but as it is there is a nice granite lead into the image. I think as it stands a bit of the sky could go..

regards
DON

Dvir Barkay
09-09-2014, 04:57 PM
I like it, its a difficult compo, but I think you did well. Very cool rocks.

Andrew McLachlan
09-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys for the comments, they are much appreciated. I may try to do a reshoot in October for some fall color. I will likely take along a pair of chest waders too as I think there may be a better perspective if I am out in the water. In October the water is absolutely frigid though.

Diane Miller
09-09-2014, 10:56 PM
I normally don't care for fisheyes but I love this one! The sky is unusual and works beautifully, for me.

Rachel Hollander
09-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Hi Andrew - the fisheye worked really well here to accentuate the waves in the rocks. Nice detail throughout too. Looking forward to seeing more from this location.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
09-19-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks Diane and Rachel...much appreciated!