PDA

View Full Version : Theme Very close up

Andreas Liedmann
09-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Hi all , got very close to this big boy of an Elephant Seal Bull .
Tried to capture all the detail and colors of this Bull, he was relaxed so i crawled in the sand to approach him .
Finally i got as close as i wanted , and he was still relaxed , this was the image with the eye the widest open . Most frames the eye was totally or just partially closed .

Canon EOS 1 D MK IV
EF 500 IS L
HH

F 6,3 ; Iso 500 ; 1/400 sec

Processed with DPP and PS CC ; slight crop for comp .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2014, 05:43 PM
I quite like the close view here, Andreas, especially with the blood/scars and glistening eye.
Did you perhaps take some with more DOF, like f11? Think you had the SS/ISO to play around (but perhaps the subject wasn't too cooperative after this session)? Having the nose/snout fully in focus would enhance this I think.

Rachel Hollander
09-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Hi Andreas - This image shows their struggles well with the scars, gashes and blood. My first thought upon looking was also that I wished the snout was in focus too. This is one where I just think it would work better if the entire frame was in focus. Perhaps you had time to experiment a bit. Good thinking in getting close and filling the frame.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
09-09-2014, 01:16 AM
Hi Andreas, goodness where is the nurse to help this bleeding animal? :))

Very nice close up, love the eye and scares on it's face, well the scares not so much, that comes along living on the wild side!
I agree with the others on a sharp snout, oh well we cannot have everything
have a great day

Ciao. anette

Andreas Liedmann
09-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys for your comments , appreciate your thoughts.
Maybe you got me wrong on this , intention was to focus absolutely on the eye , which i did. If all would be in focus , the eye will loose attention , at least from my thinking.

Cheers Andreas

Andre Pretorius
09-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Hi Andreas

If the eye is the main point of interest, how about this crop?

Andreas Liedmann
09-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks Andre , yes works ok , too. Thanks for your suggestion , appreciate that.

Neil Burton
09-10-2014, 02:34 AM
Would maybe nice to have all the scars sharp, as per Morkels suggestion, because it leaves us wanting to know more. ;) But the detail on the eye is exquisite.