PDA

View Full Version : The Flying Turtle

supreet.sahoo
09-08-2014, 02:19 PM
A turtle dove in flight at the ladakh region in India. This was a full frame image shot after 6pm.
420mm, 200, 5.6, 1/1600, -0.7

Thanks

John Robinson
09-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Superb stuff !!! Used to be common here but not any more. Saw one last year and it was amajor event !!
Great picture.
JohnR

Arthur Morris
09-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Stunning pose with a good EXP. Sharpest focus is on the spectacular near wing leaving the face a bit soft. Some additional sharpening there would likely help. Spectacular bird BTW. The dark upper BKGR actually works well here. Love the green too.

How large a crop is this?

What lens?

What camera?

Please tell us about the situation.

Jim Crosswell
09-08-2014, 08:28 PM
I like the wing position, fanned tail, wing motion blur, HA and BG. Agree with sharpening the head some more. Nice image.

Tobie Schalkwyk
09-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Beautiful! I just love how the feather colors on the wings jump out at you. The dark BG works well here, accentuating the bird even more. Nice one!

supreet.sahoo
09-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Stunning pose with a good EXP. Sharpest focus is on the spectacular near wing leaving the face a bit soft. Some additional sharpening there would likely help. Spectacular bird BTW. The dark upper BKGR actually works well here. Love the green too.

How large a crop is this?

What lens?

What camera?

Please tell us about the situation.

Dear Arthur and friends, thanks a lot for liking the image. Yes you guys are absolutely spot on with the fact that the focus locked on the wings part. This was a very interesting sighting and a short story doesnt do enough! However here it is - The bird was sitting on a rock at a slightly higher ground and one had to elevate himself to get a good portrait. I knew that I didnt need a portrait and wanted a flight shot! An accompanying birder slowly started climbing the wall to get a shot and i was anticipating the bird to fly and adjusted my camera angle and focus points in AI servo mode keeping space infront of the bird. I was very close to the bird and knew that i have to be very quick with my reaction if it has to fly. Luckily for me my friend slipped a bit and the bird panicked and flew straight in the direction where my focus was locked. Bingo! Job done :) I was using my trusty canon 7d with my 300 f4 lens and this is a full frame image.

Arthur Morris
09-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Full frame, wow! You are too fast for me. Well done.

Marina Scarr
09-09-2014, 08:01 AM
The colors and flight pose are magnificent here!!! Wish the head were sharper.

Lorant Voros
09-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Awesome and powerful! The pose is over the top with the diagonal line of the BG. Agree for the wish on the sharper head. Well done.

David Salem
09-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Great looking pose and beautiful colors on this one. The wing position and the HA look great and I like the BG colors. Selectivley sharpening the head will add to this fine shot.

supreet.sahoo
09-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Thank you everyone for the appreciation.